|Prologue|

Recommended:

Most Beautiful View by Tatiana.
Please vote and comment.
~

"How many o'clock were you when you discover tootles in a turtle? ... Twelve! And mother said Pee don't go there...!"

It was a stormy night in my ears. And by stormy, I meant that my ears were bleeding, in a way no manner of irrigation could control the flow of blood.

I was at the brink of plugging heavy stick into my ears.

Or ripping my hair into shreds. Anything that would get the child in the corridor to run away like a scared puppy. Ha!

I hated children.

Well, not all of them.

However, the reason why I hated most of them was as clear as day and it was sitting three feet beside me, singing at the top of its lung because I'd obviously been ignoring it for too long.

And trust me, it was getting harder to ignore.

The door to my stall creaked. And a pair of brown skin came into view. Laurel. She was leaning on the door and staring at me in curiosity.

"How's your day going ?" She asked.

I raised a brow at her and she smiled before turning to stare at the kid who was having fun in her mother's stall down the corridor.

"Not so good, I guess."

She shrugged. "I just came bye to tell you your day's about to get worst. Etim came in looking like a dog pissed on his shoes. My suspect is that he's heading your way," she said, adjusting her glasses and winking before moving over to the stalls.

I just started mulling over her words when approaching heels clicked against the floor and Martha's voice rang from the corridor.

"Oh my god Pee! What did you do?"

"Nothing momma!"

"Christ! Who brings kids to a publishing house, Martha? Sometimes I wish your maternity leave lasted until she were mature."

"Shut up, Josh."

"Tell that to your Pee."

"I feel like stabbing you with my heels right now."

"Momma? That is a tweeny."

"I meant massage. Yes. I wanted to give him a massage."

"She definitely took from you."

I shook my head with a sigh just as a voice from the stall next to me muttered in pain.

Those two dogs were at it again and it usually took a bulldozer to stop their verbal brawls.

That bulldozer was our manager and he was nowhere to be found.

Darlington usually hated stressing himself over Martha and Josh's issue. He was the type who would cross his legs and snack on popcorn while watching the world burn; and be properly contented with it as far as the soot didn't touch him.

I gave up on searching for him and dropped the papers in my hands in frustration.

My ears hurt and it was hard concentrating when Martha, her child and Josh were so energized.

I had already resolved to my fate of getting no work done for the day, when an overwhelming silence overcame the hall. The devil must have arrived.

I wasn't wrong but it wasn't Darlington. It was a bigger devil. A Gen-z devil with enough cuss words.