It wasn't that Budo had given up due to lack of effort, but rather, out of duty born from concern.

Budo's dignity and family honour would be smeared by his own hands if his attack meant to dissuade Shirou's advance ended up killing him.

There was no time for this!

The matter with the accosted child emperor was still at hand.

Budo could never be standing still in this situation, and yet here he was now.

"You are making things difficult," Budo gnashed his teeth.

Shirou continued forward, raising his sword up, flaring with blue magic energy that dimmed when he noticed Budo easing his stance. If a fight could be avoided, Shirou would naturally do so, especially when Budo looked reluctant.

"Neither of us have the leisure to just be standing here." Shirou said. His armour clinked with every step, but even still, he was steadfast until he walked right in front of Budo.

Tensing as Shirou lifted his sword, Budo felt that he'd rather it if Shirou had struck him instead of plant his sword into the ground.

Shirou looked Budo in the eyes in earnest, resolve colouring his features a pale white. No, that was exhaustion plain as day, but the will in his expression said it all.

"Move aside, or strike me down."

As if he understood Budo's character and disposition, Shirou gave Budo the choice.

It was an ultimatum easily understood.

The only way to stop Shirou now, was to kill him, and that was something Budo could never do.

In the end, was this really a choice?

In the tension, Budo laughed. This kind of emperor, no; this kind of leader would no doubt change the trajectory of the Empire's decline itself.

Budo stared at Shirou with budding satisfaction in the face of defiance.

A man who reeked of iron and blood, moving for the purpose of his nation vs a child swayed by the words of snakes and jackals.

The choice was clear.

Budo grunted and stepped aside, only to fall silent as Shirou stumbled and crouched onto a knee, panting for breath.

Budo hadn't been lying about Shirou's condition. Whatever Shirou did to activate the power of the sword in his hand was taxing enough to exhaust him further. If he would have been able to reach his destination before, now that answer wasn't so certain.

As such, Budo reckoned that even if he let Shirou past him, Shirou would never reach Honest and the others in time.

"Budo."

Shirou suddenly called while Budo did his best not to respond, knowing what was likely to be asked of him.

He could not allow himself to be swayed.

He'd leave Shirou here, and go on his own.

"I will give you my first, and final order as an Emperor."

An order? What gave him the right?

Budo mused, staring back to Shirou and then quickly hardening his features.

With no inauguration nor formal recognition, the title should have meant nothing yet.

But still-

What was loyalty?

Loyalty to follow orders? Loyalty to follow will? Or loyalty for the sake of ignoring a detrimental request?

"Will you listen to it, Budo, Head of the Royal Guard?"