Scene 28

We’re now in Laney’s case. She makes her way over to the Niffler habitat, and Matilda follows.

Matilda: So Scarlett wasn’t lying?

Laney: Not about this, no.

Matilda is astonished.

Matilda: It’s magnificent.

Laney nods a thank you, smiling.

Laney: We won’t be down for long. Just have to put the Niffler back, make sure it’s alright, then we’ll be on our way.

Laney sets the Niffler down on the ground and pulls off her black and blue robe. She then wraps it around the Niffler. The robes swallow it whole.

Laney: This should definitely keep you warm.

Laney then pulls out her wand and casts Lumos.

She holds the light near the Niffler’s eye, checking its pupils.

She then swishes her wand. The light immediately goes out, and the handle of the wand becomes larger around. She sticks the tip of the wand to a place on the Niffler’s head- and ear hole perhaps, and looks through the handle.

Laney: Doesn’t appear to have any gunk in his ears. He should be alright.

Laney swishes her wand and it goes back to normal.

Matilda: How did you do that?

Laney: With magic, how else?

Matilda: No, I mean-

Matilda shakes her head.

Matilda: Well, never mind. Do you have more creatures?

Laney: I do, but I don’t have much time for a tour as of now. I’d love to show you them later, but because of the circumstances we’re in, we really must be off. Now, you must agree not to tell a soul what you saw. If word gets around, I’ll be in huge trouble.

Matilda nods.

Matilda: I promise.