Still speaking in hushed tones, Steve said, "Come on," pulling her up from the bed, both supporting her as she was still weak. Placing his hand on the side of her face for a second, Bucky spoke, "We thought you were dead."

Looking over at Steve, who stood beside Bucky, she looked him up and down. "I thought you were smaller," she said, confusion in her voice. Turning to look behind them, both men looked back towards Marni before peering to the right, where there was a map with known HYDRA bases. Supporting her, Steve put her arm over his shoulder while Bucky followed. "What happened to you?" She asked, nearly running to keep up with him. "I joined the army," he told her calmly.

______________________

November 1943, Base camp, Azzano, Italy

Standing under the shelter, in front of a man with a typewriter, Colonel Phillips spoke. "Senator Brandt, I regret to report that Captain Steven G. Rogers and Lieutenant James B. Barnes went missing behind enemy lines on the third. Aerial reconnaissance proved unfruitful. As a result, I must declare Captain Rogers and Lieutenant Barnes killed in action. Period."

Walking to a table, Peggy placed down photos, the Colonel turned around to look at her. "The last surveillance flight is back. No sign of activity." Picking up one of the photos and looking at it, the man dismissed the Corporal, receiving a 'yes sir ' from him.

Throwing the photo back down, the Colonel walked away from the table to the edge of the shelter." I can't touch Stark. He's rich and the Army's number one weapon contractor. You, however, are neither one." Looking back at Peggy as he said the last sentence.

Keeping her eyes forward, she responded, "With respect, sir, I don't regret my actions. And I don't think Captain Rogers or Lieutenant Barnes did, either." Staying where he was, Philips spoke again, his tone firm, "What makes you think I give a damn about your opinions, Agent Carter? I took a chance with you. And now America's golden boys and a lot of other good men are dead because you had a crush." Standing her ground as he now stood in front of her, Peggy responded harshly, "It wasn't that. I had faith."

"Well, I hope that's a big comfort to you when they shut this division down." The man spoke before turning, seeing the commotion outside, "What the hell's going on out there?" He asked rhetorically, walking past Peggy and out of the shelter, following the other men to where they were gathering. The men parted as they saw who was walking up the hill towards them.

Leading the group towards the base was none other than Steve and Bucky, accompanied by Marni, as they walked through the camp. Suddenly, men turned around and appeared from tents, clapping, and cheering for the soldiers.

Making his way through a crowd of Soldiers, Colonel Philips stood before the two men, who saluted upon seeing him. "Some of these men need medical attention," Bucky said, standing between the Rogers siblings.

______________________

November 1943, England, SSR base

Now, in the safety of their base, Steve and Bucky helped by marking where the known HYDRA bases were, "I just got a quick look." Steve said as he looked at Peggy - Bucky having got bored and wandered off to find Marni.

"Well, nobody can be perfect," she replied with a small smile at the end. Putting his pen down, he followed Peggy as she met the Colonel, walking between the two towards a table, Steve told them. "These are the weapon factories we know about. Commander Rogers said that HYDRA shipped all the parts to another facility that isn't on this map."

Glancing at the map before walking away, the Colonel spoke to Peggy directly. "Agent Carter, coordinate with Ml6. I want every Allied eye looking for that HYDRA base." 

Walking behind him, Peggy asked, "What about us?" Turning around to face the man spoke again, being handed papers by a blonde agent." We are going to set a fire under Johann Schmidt's ass. What do you say, Rogers? It's your map. You think you and Barnes wipe HYDRA off it?"

Looking back at the map, Steve responded, turning round, "Yes sir. We'll need a team," talking on behalf of his friend as well. Examining the pages he was given, the Colonel replied. "We're already putting together the best men." Knowing they would be better off choosing the men himself, Steve spoke firmly, "With all due respect, sir, so are we."

______________________

Now that he had a small team, consisting of one he and Bucky saved from HYDRA, Steve opened a tab and left the men to their drinks. Walking into a slightly more isolated part of the bar, Steve could hear his sister laughing at something Bucky said, making his heart swell. Looking up at his friend, Bucky spoke. "See? I told you, they're all idiots." Only now, turning to face the bar where his drink was.

As Steve sat down, they both looked at Marni, who was deep in thought, nudging her so she looked at them. "How about you? You ready to follow Captain and Lieutenant America into the jaws of death?"

Laughing a bit at the names, Armani shook her head a little. "Hell, no. That small blonde guy who was too dumb to run away from a fight and his stupid friend. I'm following them." She said, taking a sip from her drink afterwards. Leaning in towards the boys, she asked them. " But you're keeping the outfits, right?"

Both men swivelled their chairs slightly, looking at the poster on the wall before replying to her. "You know what? They're growing on us." From where the three were sitting, they could hear the men's singing slowly dying down, leaning back in the chairs. Steve and Bucky looked to see what was happening when Peggy appeared in the doorway wearing a beautiful red dress, making both men stand.

"Boys," she said from the doorway.

"Agent Carter," Steve replied. Walking over to the two, she halted directly in Steve's eyeline. Taking hardly any notice of Bucky, she continued, relaying a message from Howard. "Howard has some equipment for you both to try. Tomorrow morning." From where she sat, Marni chuckled, watching the interaction.

"Sounds good." She heard her brother reply before picking up her drink, staring at the counter on which it stood. Tuning out the rest of the conversation, the last thing she heard was. "0800, Captain, Lieutenant," and her brother's very, very quick reply of " Yes, ma'am. We'll be there."

______________________

The following morning, the two met with Howard Stark. He talked them through what he had been doing and showed them new shields he had made for them both, considering that Steve's contained a fist-sized dent in it courtesy of the red skull.

Their eyes found two simplistic circular shining shields. Being told they were 'just prototypes' because it was the rarest metal in the world, they did what anyone would do and tested it out, meaning Peggy shot the shield Steve stood behind.

Having everything they now needed, including new suits, the men, Marni, and a few of the Howling commandos made their way to the first HYDRA base, busting down the door and shooting anyone in sight before fighting anyone else, then they left through the window, breaking it on motorcycles, the base blowing up behind them, making Steve look back and smirk.

______________________

A/n

The next part will most likely be Armani's 'death' so get ready for potential heartbreak, once again I hope you have enjoyed this part of the story. Please feel free to vote, follow, and give feedback in the comments because as I said, I am a first-time writer and appreciate the feedback.

Don't forget to look after yourselves. 💕

Word count: 1936