Three

"My task this season cannot be exceptionally difficult," Anthony says from beside me. My gaze is out the window, watching the buildings pass by as we make our way to the palace. I turn to look at him, though, as he speaks. "Hastings did it after all. How hard can it be?"

"Ah," Benedict mutters, holding a gloved hand over his heart. He and Gregory both turn to face one another as the second eldest brother mock pouts. "Spoken with such feeling, too."

"What I need is what I have, and that is a list."

"You made a list for your future bride?" I chime in, sighing. I wonder how the girl's carriage ride is going. Is Eloise in a complete state of panic? Has she attempted to jump out and flee yet?

"Of course," Anthony's eyes flit from me to the folded-up piece of paper in his hand, as he begins to recite. "Tolerable, dutiful, suitable enough hips for childbearing, and at least half a brain. And that last part is not so much a requirement but a preference, in fact."

Both of his brother's nod. It seems neither of them desires to get into an argument over this or question their brother's ridiculous list of requirements, but I allow the moment to brush away, questioning Anthony. "And what of your happiness?"

"Pardon me?"

All of their eyes are on me; Gregory stifles a laugh, amused someone dares speak up to his eldest brother, while Benedict watches me curiously, "Don't you wish to find someone who will make you happy?"

"I will be quite pleased to find a suitable enough woman to be my Viscountess." He informs me that the look in Anthony's gaze tells me he didn't always feel this way about love. He doesn't need to tell me, but it's clear as day Anthony has been in love before and surely gotten his heartbroken as well.

"Such a romantic, brother." Benedict rolls his eyes.

"Well, I hope you will find someone you love," I smile at Anthony sadly, shaking my head. "Because life is far too miserable already to have to go through it with someone your heart does not truly sing for."

"And does your heart sing for someone, Lydia?"

I'm shocked when Benedict addresses me, my gaze moving from Anthony over to him. Curiosity swims through his gaze as he turns the subject around, focusing on me. Something rises inside of me as Benedict's gaze captures mine, making it hard to turn away.

"No," For a topic I seemed so passionate about, I had no previous experience to back it up. I'd never felt the sensation of falling in love. I'd read about it and see the way my father's eyes would light up whenever Mother entered the room, his heart singing with love for her.

But I'd never experienced it myself, and I was beginning to doubt I ever would.

"But that doesn't make it any less real," I add, turning back to Anthony. I can feel Benedict's gaze watching me as I speak to his brother. "I believe you can find someone who has all of these attributes and makes you happy. You do not have to settle, Anthony."

"You have not yet seen my options, Lydia," Anthony chastises, "but if you wish to prove me wrong, no one is stopping you. I will surely need all the help I can get."

...

When the paper arrived, interrupting Eloise's debut as the queen, she'd be downright joyous. She grabbed my arm and dragged me into her carriage, forcing one of her sisters to ride with her brothers. Our heads ducked together as we read. She'd told me of this Whistledown in a previous letter, a writer known for sharing scandal around the Ton. She somehow knew everything about everyone, and yet... no one knew who she was.