Neglected - Mapi Leon & Ingrid Engen

Start from the beginning

Your thoughts spiralling as to what you could have done to upset your girlfriends, having completely forgot about the conversation in the locker room as In your eyes it was significant. Pulling up outside your apartment complex you were confused, usually spending all of your time over at their apartment.

Before you could even question anything, like she could read your mind, Ingrid spoke. "Maria and I thought we could have a date night, just like the two of us. We haven't had one in a while and thought it'd be nice"

Hurt flashed across your face, only for a second as you plastered a fake smile as to not seem clingy.

"Yeah, no problem. Are we still on for breakfast before training tomorrow?" you questioned.

"We were just going to do it at home and then head to training early, Maria has an appointment with the physio" she said, not even looking you in the eye.

Maria had parked the car outside your apartment building and was now mindlessly scrolling on her phone, you noticed her jaw clenched but didn't bring it up.

"Ok, well see you tomorrow, Bye." you nodded, trying to mask the hurt in your voice, no reply from either of your girlfriends was a sign so you grabbed your training bag and exited the vehicle, not looking back.

You hadn't made it to the door of your apartment complex when you heard the sound of Maria's car driving off, your eyes stinging as you tried to hold back tears, shaky hands barely able to scan your key card on the door. You headed towards the elevator, mind racing as you clicked your floor. Being in an elevator just again brings your thoughts to Maria and Ingrid, wondering what you could have possibly done to have upset them.

Finally hearing the door ding, signalling the arrival to your floor, you dragged your feet to your apartment, shoulders slumped as your mood has worsened. Kicking your door open, dumping your jacket, bag and shoes to the side, closing your door with more force than necessary and barely making it to the couch before you began sobbing, head in your hands and the only sounds in the apartment were sobs and gasps for air.

You woke up on the couch, you must have passed out from exhaustion from how long you were crying for, you picked your phone up from the floor to realise it had died, the clock on the wall reading 8:34pm, a whole 6 hours since you arrived back to your apartment. Thoughts cut off by the loud grumble of your stomach, deciding that you should actually eat something you, very grumpily, first went down the hall to your bedroom to put your phone on charge, before making your way to the kitchen to make dinner. As you spend most of your time at Maria and Ingrid's apartment you don't have much food in so you settled on tuna pasta.

Now finished eating you dispose of you dishes in the sick, deciding its tomorrows problem, and trudging to your room, deciding that you should shower you go into your ensuite, strip off your training gear and step into the steaming shower, hoping the very hot borderline boiling water will at least let you feel something, anything.

You were not wrapped up in bed, wearing a pair of Maria's sweatpants and one of Ingrid's hoodie, hoping that whatever that was bothering them earlier has faded and they reached out to you, but nothing other than radio silence, you sighed and started scrolling on Instagram when you noticed both Maria and Ingrid had posted stories, cautiously clicking, it was a selfie of the out to dinner and at further examination it was at your favourite restaurant, fresh tears pricked your eyes as clicked off, giving it one last chance texting them good night and asking if they wanted to get lunch tomorrow after training tomorrow, as expected, no reply.

Placing your phone on your bedside table and laying down, wiping the tears from your face, which was pointless as new ones just replaced them, you, for the second time today, cried yourself to sleep.