A Fiery Rose

England

1820

Pandora's emerald eyes admired her reflection in the gold framed mirror. Mother should be very pleased she thought to herself. Her red hair was pulled back into ringlets. She wore an empire dress of the purest white, trimmed in delicate lace eyelet. Her neck was adorned with a simple strand of coral pearls.

Pandora's mother entered the sitting room. "Pandora, you look so perfect."

"I look so submissive, isn't that what you mean, Mother?"

"Nonsense. You look like a proper young lady who is in need of a husband should look."

"I've heard Lord Royce is quite the rake. Is he in need of a wife?"

"The word from the ton is that he wants an heir. He's ready to settle down."

The butler entered the room and bowed. "The carriage has arrived Madame."

"Please show Lord Royce in when he arrives."

"Very well Madame."

"Now, Pandora, promise me you'll be on your best behavior. You are 24 years old and not married. People are starting to talk. You have to get serious about your future."

"I am serious about my future, mother. I should like to continue on with my pursuits."

"Developing hybrid roses. How is that going to get you a husband?"

"Perhaps my husband will love flowers."

"Then he can buy them at the floral shop. You know precisely what I mean, Pandora. And don't be spouting any of your crazy ideas. I don't know where I got a daughter like you. We're going to play up your domestic skills."

The dispute between mother and daughter was interrupted by the knock on the door. "Come in", Mrs. Ingham chimed sweetly.

The butler announced, "Lord Royce has arrived." He stepped aside and Pandora saw a tall, broad shouldered man enter the room.

He bowed low and Pandora saw some glitter in his eyes as his gaze captured her face. He took the hand of his hostess. "Charmed, Mrs. Ingham."

"As am I Lord Royce." He turned slightly to look at Pandora. "And this is my daughter, Pandora."

Lord Tristan took in Pandora's form as he lifted her hand to his lips. "Very charmed," his deep voice pronounced. Pandora could see his eyes settling on her breasts. She pulled her hand away quickly as a slight smile flickered on Lord Royce's lips. Lord Royce pulled himself up to his full height of six feet.. He gazed down at Pandora through thick black eyelashes.

Pandora's eyes were drawn to his chiseled cheekbones and the strong set of his jaw. "Pleased to meet you, Lord Royce," she said as she took a step away from him.

"It would please me if you and your mother called me Tristan." He paused, and then added, "Lord Tristan, that is."

Pandora bowed her head slightly. "As you wish, Lord Tristan," she said in her most demure voice.

Carrington entered with the tea cart. "Carrington, I think we can manage by ourselves." He bowed and left the room. "Pandora, I think it would be nice if you served the Lord."

"Mother, why? It's Carrington's job to serve."

Mrs. Ingham nudged her daughter with her eyes. "It's a way of showing Lord Tristan our hospitality."

Pandora snuck a look at the Lord whose lips were curled into a half smile. She felt a full-fledged tantrum brewing up inside her but decided to suppress it. Perhaps, she reasoned, she could have fun with the Lord in another way. She resigned herself to serving the Lord. As he sat on the soft blue chaise with her mother, she offered him a finger sandwich.