twenty-two.

Valentina sits on the stairs as Nathan knocks on the side door to Lucas's bedroom. A moment passes before Lucas stands there, his eyes barely open.

"Get dressed," Nathan orders.

"Don't be rude, Nathan," Valentina tells her younger brother, "Good morning, Lucas, would you like to work out with us?"

"It's 6 am," Lucas states.

"And?" Nathan asks, "Get ready, or else I'll keep knocking."

Lucas sighs and closes the door. Valentina shakes her head as she looks at Nathan and about ten minutes later the door opens again to reveal Lucas wearing a hoodie and sweatpants. Valentina jumps to her feet and smiles at Lucas.

"Ready?"

"What are we doing?" Lucas asks.

"Playoffs are next week which means we have to get you in shape. Workout, studying film, whatever it takes," Nathan explains.

"Why?" Lucas asks the question mainly for Nathan.

Nathan shrugs, "Because I want to win, and I need your help."

"And I'm here because I didn't want to be left out," Valentina says, "I'll carry my team to the championship, no biggie."

"Tell that to Cary who beat you last year," Nathan mutters.

"Okay, they were calling bullshit fouls on me. If I didn't foul out, we totally would have gone to the championship!" Valentina exclaims, shoving Nathan who gently shoves her back. Lucas smiles at his siblings and wonders if this is what it would have been like if they'd all grown up together? Morning runs and workout sessions?

"Hey, can I tell you guys something that's been bothering me?" Lucas asks, "The thing Dan said about asking my mom what kind of parent he was. Any idea what he meant?"

"Probably just more of his mind games, man," Nathan says with a shrug, "That's the way he is."

"Don't let it get to you," Valentina adds as she pats her brother on the shoulder, "Now, the last one to the Rivercourt has to buy me a bagel!"

Valentina takes off running with a laugh and she can hear as Lucas and Nathan take off after her.

~*~

Valentina runs over to Peyton's house and knocks on the front door which is opened by her dad. Valentina smiles at him and Larry chuckles as he steps aside.

"Come on in Valentina," Larry says before shouting, "Peyton! Valentina's here!"

Val notices the duffle on the table, "Heading out, Mr. Sawyer?"

"Just to the Keys," he says, "I'll be gone for five days. Which means no parties."

Valentina jokingly salutes Larry, "Aye aye Captain."

Larry chuckles at the action as he grabs his bag, "Make sure she gets to school on time, and that she cuts off that webcam."

"I will," Valentina says as she makes her way over to the stairs before heading into Peyton's room where the cheerleader was packing her pom poms into a duffle bag along with her clothes for cheer practice.

"Knock knock," Val greets as she enters the room. Peyton glances over at her and smiles instantly.

"Hey! Why are you so sweaty?" Peyton asks as she walks over to Valentina and kisses her before her nose scrunches in disgust, "You taste salty."

"That would be the sweat that you just pointed out," Valentina says, "And I went for a run with Nathan and Lucas, you know, a little siblings bonding."