Chapter 14 - We Will Be Together for Evermore

Начните с самого начала

"Still, Elvis. You should call her."

"Or you can stay here."

"I don't know what I'm going to do at least for the distant future. Now, I should get going. I'll let you know what my plans are."

She about stood up, but I took hold of her arm, keeping her down. Our gazes held, and her pale face started to turn red. I leaned in and placed a kiss on her lips, then I drew away. I smirked. "Hopefully that will play into what you're gonna decide."

She said nothing, just disappeared right before me. I sighed through my nose, letting off some emotion. I really, really hoped that at least one girl wouldn't leave me. Even though I had my family around, this place felt empty without a girl I loved in it. I felt lonely. I would just hope that if she left, she would come back. I would just have to wait with an open door.

~ ~ ~

Ignis made her choice, as did the other women in my life. Sam was gone to Colorado, and Cilla was staying in New York. Ignis decided that she would go to France. Yes, France, where she originally said she would go. I couldn't get to the airport fast enough. I missed her boarding, and I literally saw the plane she was on take off and fly away.

My heart was at my feet. They were all gone. I couldn't hold any of them back. But if they decided to come back, I would welcome them back. Mainly, I wanted...

No, she would stay there. But I was desperate to get to her. She was the one I really wanted out of all of them. It had been a week since she left, and I was doing everything in my power to make sure that I could get myself over there. But it wouldn't be easy.

"Elvis, I already told you it's not possible," said my manager, and that was that until 1966 hit. I was scheduled to do some films this year, but we weren't starting on those yet, so I figured that this would be a good time for me to try again.

"There's a way I can get over there and be there and not be seen, so there's no need for detail or none of that," I said in the living room as it was snowing outside. It was mid-January, and my father and my manager were present as the boys were outside having fun in the snow. I would be out there with them, but this was serious, what we were talking about.

"How in heaven's name is that even possible?" asked the Colonel, seated in the white armchair near the fireplace. "You'll be seen."

"I'm seen here," I retorted. "It wouldn't be different. But I'm sayin' that there's a way that I wouldn't be recognized. Trust me on this."

"What? A disguise?" asked the Colonel. "Elvis, this is all nonsense."

"It's a disguise, yes, but it's not one where I have to put on different clothes and a wig." I looked over at Daddy, sitting on my right. "I told ya what happened that time on the 4th of July. I was out on a busy street and no one recognized me at all. They thought I was some other guy."

He nodded. "Yes, and I'm still trying to believe it."

"What are you talking about?" the Colonel interjected, and I looked over at him. Then at my father. He gave me one nod. That was the go-ahead.

"Alright," I said, looking at my manager. "I'm gonna tell ya somethin', Colonel, and you're gonna have to have an open mind, okay?"

He squinted his eyes. "What are you up to, my boy?"

Well, I told him everything, from when Ignis showed up to now, including her writing me near Christmas and telling me that she practiced her incognito spell so that a person could go unrecognized for a full week. She also said that she could transport herself about one-hundred miles. She was getting good.