Chapter 5 Clean Fight.

[NATASHA POV]

"So, Y/N?" I hear Wanda say from the other side of the kitchen island.

"What about her?" I ask as I glance up at her. She shrugs her shoulders and sits across from me with her own food, "Oh, nothing. I voted her in, I just, this is definitely a good idea, right?" She says, poking her fork at her food.

I sigh and eat, thinking for a moment. "You voted her in," I begin, "having second thoughts already?" I question playfully, making her chuckle. "No, of course not," she says, "it's just that Steve did make a small point earlier. What on earth was that outburst?"

I nod, thinking back to when we had searched the HYDRA base. Wanda is talking about the whole bone-snappy-thing once Steve and I had pinned Y/N. "I'm pretty sure it's the hyena," I say. I mean, it would make sense. "Her hyena?" I hear Wanda ask, to which I nod.

"I think so, we had this little back and forth when I had asked her about it," I say as I munch on my food. "She said we have a doctor that turns into a green ogre, then something like why is it hard for me to believe she can turn into a hyena." I watch Wanda as she nods along, taking in all the information.

"So she's a therianthrope," She seems to pause for a moment, seemingly thinking before she smiles faintly. "She protected you from Steve," she says, finger quoting on the word protected, knowing I'd have kicked Steve's ass anyway.

"She did." I'm quite surprised, I'd have never expected her to defend me like that. It was flattering. "I'd have kicked Steve's ass any day, but I'm grateful for her stepping in. It's not every day I've had someone do that for me," I smile faintly before continuing to eat, occasionally glancing at Wanda as we continue to conversate.

As we are conversing, Wanda pauses and directs her gaze above my head. Simultaneously, I experience a distinct sensation, a familiar feeling of a new presence. The unfamiliar part is the strange sensation of safety. Slowly, I raise my eyes to see Y/N standing tall behind me, her gaze meeting mine as her head peers over my own, the two of us now making eyecontact.

"Hi. Are you ready for some lunch?" I question, raising my eyebrow at the woman. She only nods before looking around the kitchen a little bit, spotting a plate of various cooked meats. "That's yours," I stand up, retrieving the plate for her and placing it on the kitchen island as I make my way back to my own seat across from it.

She slowly sits down, but I notice her keeping her eyes on Wanda. "Y/N?" I ask, but her eyes still never leave Wanda. I hear the other girl sigh and glance over at her to see her slowly sit beside Y/N, being sure not to move too suddenly.

"Y/N, I know we got off on the wrong foot," she waves her hands around, making a growl come from Y/N. "Right! Sorry," Wanda says, lowering her hands, "look, I know you're cautious of my magic, but you have to understand that I needed to do that?" Her voice is gentle and reassuring. "You were about to attack my friends, Y/N. Plus, I had no idea what was happening, for all I know you could have hurt yourself too."

Y/N's shoulders slowly begin to relax as she takes in Wanda's words before nodding. "I promise, it won't happen again," Wanda holds up her pinky, but Y/N just stares at it, confused.

"Are you having a stroke?" She deadpans, her voice still hoarse. Wanda laughs at her and points to her hand, "may I?" She asks, to which Y/N hesitates before nodding and lifting her hand.

Wanda takes it and wraps her pinky around Y/N's. "It's called a pinky promise," she smiles, letting go of the woman's hand, acknowledging from her hesitation that physical touch isn't Y/N's thing.

"I don't get it."

Wanda facepalms.

"Y/N," I say, "it's called a pinky promise... or swear. You make a promise, lock pinkys, and it just solidifies the promise." She stares at me as she picks up a chicken leg, biting into it with yet another confused expression. "What does the pinky have to do with it?"