Chapter 10: The second Tardis

Start from the beginning

Ignoring The Doctor's protests and Trinity's attempts to intervene, the Master staggers to the controls of his white TARDIS, which had been recalibrated to act as a conduit for the counter-frequency. "This is the only way," he gasps, his voice barely a whisper as the life fades from him. "My TARDIS, it can seal the tear, but it needs to return to my universe—with the predators."

The Doctor, realizing what the Master intends, rushes to his side, trying to find another solution, any way to save his newfound ally. "There has to be another way! We can fight them together!"

But the Master shakes his head, a sad smile on his lips. "Not this time, Doctor. This is my path. Tell your universe...it was worth saving."

With the last of his strength, the Master activates the self-destruct sequence on his TARDIS, programming it to drag the Vortex Predators back through the tear and into his universe before detonating. The energy release from the explosion, he calculates, will force the tear closed permanently.

As the white TARDIS begins to dematerialize, the Master locks eyes with The Doctor and Trinity one final time. "Goodbye, Doctor. Keep saving the universe, for both of us."

Then, in a flash of white light, the Master and his TARDIS are gone, the Vortex Predators pulled back with him. A moment later, the space where the tear had once threatened the fabric of reality stabilizes, the rift sealed as if it had never been.

The Doctor and Trinity are left in the silence of their TARDIS, the weight of the Master's sacrifice hanging heavy in the air. The Doctor, lost in thought, stares at the spot where the white TARDIS had vanished, a mix of respect, sadness, and resolve etched into his features.

Trinity, moved by the Master's final act of heroism, places a comforting hand on The Doctor's shoulder. "He saved us all," she says softly.

The Doctor nods, his voice thick with emotion. "Yes, he did. And he reminded me, yet again, of the cost of this life we lead. But also of its value. The Master, from another universe, in the end, he was one of the best of us."

In the aftermath of the Master's selfless sacrifice and the sealing of the tear in the fabric of reality, The Doctor found himself at the TARDIS console, setting coordinates for their next destination. Trinity, sensing the weight of the moment and the Doctor's somber mood, approached him cautiously, her curiosity about the events that had unfolded still burning.

"Doctor, can you tell me more about the multiverse?" Trinity asked gently, hoping to understand not just the cosmic phenomena they had witnessed, but also to offer The Doctor a chance to process the recent events through explanation.

The Doctor paused, his hands stilling on the console. He took a deep breath, schooling his features into a mask of composure. "The multiverse," he began, his voice steady, "is an endless expanse of possibilities. Infinite universes existing alongside one another, each one a variation of the next, where every choice creates a new branch, a new reality."

He turned to face Trinity, his gaze distant, as if looking back across the countless worlds and times he'd seen. "In some universes, I'm not the Doctor you know. The people we meet, the lives we touch—they can be vastly different or hauntingly similar. And sometimes, those universes bleed into one another, creating tears like the one we just closed."

Trinity listened intently, absorbing his words and the gravity they carried. She realized this was not just a lesson in cosmic mechanics but a glimpse into The Doctor's heart. His experiences with the multiverse were not just scientific observations; they were personal, filled with connections made and lost.

The Doctor, although hiding his emotions, couldn't conceal the pain that flashed briefly in his eyes at the mention of loss. "People dying, it's never easy, no matter how many times you witness it," he confessed quietly, almost to himself. "Especially when they sacrifice themselves for others. The Master, in his universe, he made the ultimate choice. And it's a reminder of the cost of the battles we fight."

Seeing the Doctor's struggle, Trinity placed a reassuring hand on his arm. "He won't be forgotten, Doctor. And his sacrifice, it saved countless lives. There's honor in that."

The Doctor nodded, a sad smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. "Yes, there is. And we carry on, in honor of those who can't. That's our duty, to remember and to keep fighting for the good of all universes."

With that, he turned back to the console, the TARDIS engines beginning to whir in preparation for takeoff. Trinity stood by his side, a silent pillar of support. They were bound not just by their adventures but by the shared understanding of the weight of their journey through time and space.

As the TARDIS faded from the moon and re-emerged in the vastness of the universe, The Doctor and Trinity set off once more, their spirits tempered by loss but also strengthened by the resolve to make a difference, one universe at a time. The memory of the Master, a Time Lord from another universe who had stood by them in the face of annihilation, remained with them, a beacon of sacrifice and heroism in the endless expanse of the multiverse.