Every Last Bit of Him

Začít od začátku

"You believe us, then," said Harry. He was sat in the bed on Ariadne's right, propped up against his elbows as he watched Professor Dumbledore. Ariadne searched him for evidence of injury, but despite fatigue casting a shadow on his tired face, he looked no worse for wear. He did not look drowsy, however, so he had been listening for quite some time.

"I do," said Professor Dumbledore. "But I am just a man. I do not have the power to force other men to see the truth, nor even to stand against the Minister of Magic." Dumbledore was silent, then, and he did not offer anything else to the children before him. Neither platitudes nor words of comfort, no vehement declarations that justice shall be served. Ariadne felt hollow as she stared at his solemn face. They would have no one to rely on but themselves.

"You can't help us," she said, and it was a statement rather than a question. Dumbledore nodded, almost an apology.

"But you're Dumbledore," Harry interjected lowly, something akin to betrayal in his voice. "We need you."

Dumbledore shook his head, shifting his gaze slightly to the bed next to Harry's. "What we need," he began slowly, and his light blue eyes found Hermione's wide brown ones, for she had awoken as well, "is more time." Despite the fear reflected in her eyes, hand clutched tightly onto the sheet around her, Hermione nodded resolutely before Dumbledore even finished his sentence.

Whatever he found in Hermione satisfied him, for Dumbledore gestured to the three of them to come nearer as he provided direction. "Sirius is locked in Professor Flitwick's office on the seventh floor. From outside of the castle, it is the thirteenth window from the right of the West Tower. If all goes well, you will be able to save more than one innocent life. But remember this, all of you. You must not be seen. Miss Granger knows precisely what is at stake."

Maybe Hermione did, but Ariadne had no bloody idea what Professor Dumbledore was talking about. But she did not dare to interrupt, not when the omnipresent twinkle in Professor Dumbledore's eye was nowhere to be found.

"You must not be seen," he repeated as he rose, and Ariadne shivered at the finality in his voice. "Miss Granger," Dumbledore addressed Hermione, ignoring Harry and Ariadne, "three turns should do it. Good luck, you three. If you succeed, you may change the rest of your lives."

Dumbledore closed the door behind him, and Ariadne heard the tell-tale click of an Alohamora before turning to Hermione with questions. Harry had not been so patient, already on Hermione's bed to examine the hourglass around her neck.

"I don't believe it," gasped Ariadne. "How have you– Lucius said that those were only for government work. That they weren't ready to leave the Ministry, or else he'd have his hands on one by now."

"Not now, Ariadne," Hermione dismissed, and Ariadne might have been irritated had the stakes not obviously been so high.

Hermione marched determinedly towards Ariadne's bed, dragging an utterly lost Harry along with her. Ignoring his protests, Hermione threw the chain around Harry's neck and motioned for Ariadne to climb under as well. Ariadne paused only for a moment before ducking between them, thin gold chain straining as it encompassed their three necks.

"Ready?" Hermione asked, beginning to turn the hourglass. Ariadne' felt her heart beat in her ears as she nodded. Ariadne grabbed Harry's hand, hoping to provide some comfort even if she could not answer his questions. He quieted once she did, and the two of them watched together as Hermione turned the hourglass for a third time.

Although her feet remained firmly planted, Ariadne felt the sudden sensation that she was flying backwards at a speed that should have killed her. Sounds dragged and pitched upward into a loud ringing as an array of colours swirled around, and although Ariadne wanted to close her eyes, she found that she could not. Her hand in Harry's kept her grounded, something tangible upon which to centre herself as the world blurred past.