Chapter 36: The Gala

Start from the beginning

"Tell me what's on your mind." He sat in a chair next to the remnants of the door he'd crushed only days before. You hesitantly sat across from him, hands folded as tears began to slip down your cheeks.

"I just- seeing them one last time really reminded me of how uncertain tonight is. When I signed up for this, when I began living here, I didn't expect to become so attached to everything. To Saffron, to Nighteye and Gran Torino, to the life I've had here, to you. Things have changed so drastically. I went from having nothing to live for, nowhere to call home, no friends or family, no purpose. You gave me all of that. You reconnected me with my mother... You helped me pull my pieces back together. Before, I had nothing to lose and so the thought of dying wasn't so horrible... but now? I'm scared." You blubbered as fat tears streamed down your face. "You promised me it was going to be okay, that you would make sure that nothing happens to me, but can you promise that? I mean, you're only human, Toshi."

Your eyes darted to the door he'd smashed when he lost control and you frowned.
"I have faith in you, Tosh. I really do. But... You've told me this man has hundreds of quirks at his disposal. He's old, he's experienced. He's the epitome of evil. He- he killed your teacher. She was a pro hero, a wielder of One for All... I'm just me."

Toshi's breath hitched at the mention of his master. You couldn't bring yourself to look at him. You were too ashamed of your fear.

"(Y/N)... I'm-I'm sorry. When I asked you to do this I didn't realize either of us would become so attached either. It was short sighted of me, selfish. I was looking for someone to help me defeat All for One and I suppose I didn't care what it could cost you. I- It was terrible of me. I didn't anticipate I would come to care for you so much- to love you as much as I do. I didn't think you would have such an impact on my life, nor did I ever anticipate that that girl I met on the beach would come to love the life she lived here so much. Every fiber of my being is begging me to take you away, to hide you until everything is over but I can't. I can't make the decision to break our deal off. It kills me to say that but-" Toshi's voice was ragged, his own tears wetting his cheeks. "I have the fate of the world to consider. I can't change the plan, no matter how bad I want to. But- but if you were to want out I couldn't force you to stay here. I couldn't force you to fight. I would have to let you stay home during the fight, where it's safe. You could stay with your family, with your friends, with Saffron, and hopefully we could reunite once it's all over. So tell me, (Y/N). Tell me you don't want to go, that you don't want to face All for One, and I will free you of our deal with joy in my heart. I want nothing more than to free you of this fear, to free you of this burden, but you know why I can't make the decision myself, right? Because if I were the one to choose, I would have to choose what gives the world the best chance at surviving, regardless of what I want."

You didn't have the chance to respond before his face was buried in his hands, a loud sob erupting from his throat.

"Please, (Y/N). Tell me you want to break the deal off. Please." His shoulders shook with the weight of his sorrow and your heart twisted in your chest. Before you was a man with no choice. A man who so desperately wanted you to stay home and out of danger, but knew that the fate of the world depended on the two of you fighting together.

The decision before you burned at your throat. You wanted to scream and beg him to let you out of the deal. You wanted to beg him not to face All for One even more, but you knew he couldn't agree to that. Someone had to face All for One, and the choice was either to go with him or to send him alone.

You knew the choice you had to make.

"I can't do that, Toshi. I can't send you alone to your death." Your voice was a somber whisper.

His shoulders shook harder with the weight of the loud sobs that spilled from his lips. He cried like a man torn to pieces and in agony, and you knew he was. He had no choice but to take you with him to your uncertain fates, and the helplessness was not something he was used to.
"I don't want you to go, (Y/N). I don't want you to have to fight with me."