I bit my lip, breathing out a defeated sigh and tossing my apron on the sand of the beach. "Fine, where the fuck are we going?" Pope and JJ high fived each other, whooping and John B looked at Kie in excitement.

"Sarah Cameron's coming tonight," John B's words caused me to stop in place, in a flurry of anger and confusion.

"Why hell are we letting a kook in on pogue stuff?"

"This is gonna be good," JJ muttered from the sidelines of my standoff with John B, who looked at me nervously and distracted his nerves by playing with the tail of his tied off bandana.

"Sarah, uh, she got me into the archives in Chapel Hill yesterday, and that's where I got this letter—"

"You mean to tell me, you ditched the drive-in, lied, and left to go do a recreation of sherlock holmes with a kook, much less Sarah Cameron?"

Pissed off was the understatement of the century, and I struggled to think straight, avoiding the pogues' eyes.

"Yeah, he was mackin' on her," JJ commented, earning a unified glare from both me and John B.

"I wasn't macking on her," John B defended, as if that was the biggest issue that we had at the moment.

"Shut the hell up, both of you," my words drew the attention of the boys again, "John B, did you tell her about the gold?"

My seriousness inspired everyone else to become suspicious of Sarah's involvement, as the spotlight now turned fully on John B.

"I was trying to get into the arch—"

"So, that's a yes," I cut him off, unwilling to hear the rest of a poor excuse.

The moon was now shimmering against the waves and the pretty sunset was now gone. It was late and I honestly didn't even know how to feel at the moment.

Not only did I potentially lose my job, now I'm being dragged into a fake treasure hunt that'll likely just bite us all in the ass.

"I was just using her for information," John B reasoned, obviously lying and I had become fed up, so I began walking away.

Kie followed behind, "I don't trust her either, she's bad news, K."

"That's not it, this," I gestured to the boys behind us, who were now arguing with each other in the distance, "this is all bullshit and that bullshit just cost me a solid summer job."

Kie stopped her stride, hesitating before talking, "I'm sorry, K. The boys, I gotta stay with them."

I nodded, walking back to the Island Club and seeing how abandoned it had become as the night began to wind down.

It had been maybe an hour or two, since I had finished cleaning up at the Island Club and my legs felt like rubber. Walking home from figure 8 made me question the pay I received from working my shift.

Suddenly a jeep turned onto the street I was on, and the lights brightened the road ahead. Music boomed
from the speakers, rumbling throughout the town. The Jeep suddenly swerved, nearly hitting a pole and I took it as a sign to step a little further on the sidewalk away from the street.

"Oh my god, man," A voice echoed from the open window of the car, followed by a cloud of smoke in the air.

"Yo, is that Khalia?" I knew that voice, and the fact that it recognized me was unbelievable.

"Hey, Khalia," The car slowed slightly, before coming to a complete stop.

"Fuck," I muttered to myself before finally turning to face Rafe, who was accompanied by Kelce and Topper, who was driving.