5

Summer was almost to an end and it had been a full week since I had heard from any of the pogues

Did it bother me? Yes, but I was elbows deep into working at my summer job just trying to get by. I really couldn't do much and I'd just have to make a mental note to ask them what was up when the time came.

"Hey mom, is there any cereal left?" I looked through the cabinets, disappointed to see nothing but instant noodles and a bag of sugar.

"Honey, no, didn't you do groceries?" her voice called from the living room, obviously hoarse and likely from recovering over last nights drinking.

"Sorry, electric was due last week and I couldn't. I'll try to rack some tips up today and see what I can get."

My phone buzzed against the counter, and a part of me secretly hoped it was JJ. My heart sank a little to find Aurora's name at the bottom of my screen.

Aurora
Yo, are you still lookin
for that second summer job?

Me
Yes 👍

Aurora
Ik of something over
at Kiawah, 15 plus tips

Me
Isn't that the country club tho?

Aurora
You want mula or nah?
Ik shelby, her dad owns it

Me
Depends, when can I start?

Aurora
Not sure, I'll ask

I set my phone back down, flipping through different  letters and organizing them in order of bills.

Not even five minutes later, Aurora texted me back.

Aurora
U got shoes and shorts?

Me
Ya

Aurora
Good, head up now and start

My stomach twisted in nervousness, and I suddenly became aware of my outfit.

Me? At a country club?

"Fuck."

"So, we'll have you serving for now, do you have experience with that?" the older man turned in my direction, who I had learned was named Chris.

"Yes, I waitressed at Mulligans last summer."

Mulligans was the best hangout for the crew when Kie's parents wouldn't let us hunker down for some extra grub at the Wreck. I knew a Kook in there who would dish some free meals our way every once in awhile, if I pulled my shirt down just enough.