Chapter 9

tw: DARK CONTENT, sexual content, violence

"How did you find this beach?" Jaime asked JJ. "It's so hidden."

The two of them spend a few minutes trailing through the wooded area, before finding the sand. The place was gorgeous. She'd never seen such a beautiful beach that was completely empty like this.

It was a clean, unpolluted little cove that was secluded due to the trees all around.

They were completely out of sight of other people. So far from the country club that no one could accidentally find them. She finally relaxed, feeling safe again.

Yes, Jaime would most definitely have to be worried about seeing Rafe on Monday, like he threatened. But Monday felt so far away right now. As she stood next to JJ, the whole world seemed so far away.

She watched as JJ kicked his shoes off. "Wanna go for a swim?"

Normally, she'd say no. She didn't like how cold the water got at night. Sometimes it didn't seem worth getting wet and covered in sand for a small swim.

But she'd go if JJ asked her to. So she gave an enthusiastic, "Yeah, I'll follow you."

She stripped down to her old swimsuit, which she had on under her clothes. She noticed the way JJ turned his head, like he wanted to make it clear he wasn't looking.

"Okay," he smiled widely. "So we don't have a surfboard right now, but when Kie and Pope meet us later, he's got one in the back of his truck. But for now, I figured we'd just test out the waves ourselves."

"That seems kinda dangerous without a board," she said, noticing how high the waves seemed to be right now.

"Nah," JJ brushed off. "I'll catch you if you get caught in a riptide or something."

Jaime hesitated, "Wait...is there a riptide-"

"Joking, joking," he told her. He took her hand. "C'mon. Kie loves taking us to this beach. There's a little area up ahead that she gets shells from. No one else really comes out here, I'm sure you can find something nice. I'll show you."

As most times he spoke, her worry left, and a smile came. "Okay," she quickly agreed. He held her hand as they walked towards the ocean.

She barely felt the cold weather when she was in his company.

*****

What was she doing here?

As Rafe stood in the hallway, waiting for Jaime to come back out, the question wouldn't leave his mind.

Did she just come to stuff like this? Did she just...hang out in regular places?

It was odd. So odd. Because she was one of Barry's hookers. Why was she here at a family friendly event? She didn't even have family besides that crackhead mom of hers, Barry had told Rafe that the two women were on their own.