February Q&A

1. Question by CynderBlack4: So I'm guessing they give people poison when they think they aren't going to survive?

--> To be more precise, there are no medical records about plague doctors poisoning their patients, however, there are several cases when they caused their patients to die (although unintentionally). So it's pretty plausible that they were poisoning "the lost cases" what seemed kind of humane considering the pain patients had to endure till death. 

--> Also I would like to mention that poisoning half-dead patients is Giovanni's way of dealing with this kind of patients. Rosalynn wouldn't care if somebody has some chances to survive or not, she would just treat the patient and do whatever is in her power to help them. And for Doctor, as you already read in the first chapters, he doesn't bother himself preparing some poisonous drinks or whatever. In his opinion that would be a waste of energy and resources. He has only one aim: to cure these people who have chances to survive. Those who seem lost are simply omitted and left alone.

2. Are the events in the novel historical? What about people?

--> Some of them yes. I'm trying to write some arcs using historical figures or the events and show it my way. For instance, Jack and Reverend Samuel from Castleton, Anne Leech (Mary's mother), George Rae, Giovanni, Young Blight and Reverend Ruddell, all these are real historical figures. The Jack's background and the witch trial, the Baltane Festival and the recent arc (Dorothy Durant's ghost story) are based on true historical events. And of course I'm adding something extra from me to make them more realistic than they may sometimes be ;) 

3. Are there going to be more plague doctor characters?

--> Perhaps? I'm thinking of incorporating another historical plague doctor into the story but we will see ;) For now I won't tell ya which one will it be.

4. What about plague nurses?

--> Hmm... I think Rosalynn could be the first plague nurse which later might inspire other women to take up that profession. At that times it was unbelievable for women to possess any other kind of knowledge except for cooking, sewing and taking care of children. For that reason Rosalynn remains the only plague nurse in the story so far;) 

5. Maybe a short Valentine story?

--> Say no more! And happy Valentines by the way!

Rosalynn was sitting in her room reading a herbal book in silence interrupted with the sound of cracking fire as it was February. While reading the book, she thought that she already knew a lot about plants and how to brew them into healthy or poisonous drinks but the book turned out to be very informative. From time to time Rosalynn was looking at the window to look at the full moon which was shining bright. 

Suddenly a quiet knocking on her door interrupted her moment of peace. She put the book on the bed and hurried to the door. When she opened it, she saw Doctors tall silhouette in front of her. He was wearing a black shirt, a pair of black trousers, black gloves, black hat, and of course his mask. 

"I hope I do not interrupt anything important?" He asked politely with his hands behind his back. 

"Oh no! Please! Come in." She let him enter her room and Doctor sat on her bed next to the book.

"What do you have here?" Using one hand he took the book to have a look. 

"It's a book about herbs." She smiled and wanted to tell him more about it but suddenly he stood up and gave her a small box with red ribbon. "What's that?" She was so surprised to see the present. 

"It is a gift from me. I have heard that today is Saint Valentines day so, perhaps, it would be appropriate to show you my gratitude that you accompany me and well..." He seemed to be already lost in what he wanted to say but Rosalynn was happy anyway. 

She took the little box and opened it carefully. Inside, there was a pair of leather black female gloves with black lace. She was so stunned that for a while they were standing in silence.

"I assume I did not make the right choice." He scratched his neck bemused and she quickly shook her head. 

"Oh no, no! I love them! They are so beautiful! Thank you so much!" Not thinking much she hugged and squeezed him in happiness. Doctor was so confused that he was unable to do anything about it. He was still learning the emotions and it was very hard for him to describe what was he feeling recently. 

When she was done, Rosalynn quickly started opening the drawers of her desk in serach of something. Soon she was holding a small bottle with a liquid that resembled some kind of oil.

"Here! Please take a gift from me as well!" She was smiling brightly with excitement. Doctor took the bottle carefully, opened it and smelled. 

"Lavender?" Doctor was quite surprised.

"Yes! I've been working on this since you told me that you like this scent in particular." She seemed proud of her work. "It's an essential oil. You can apply it on you skin or mask and you will be smelling with lavender."

She didn't see that because of his mask but Doctor smiled and was somehow touched with Rosalynn's gift and the effort she put in creating such thing. He thanked her and both spent the night reading Rosalynn's herbal book. 

-------------------------------------------------------------

That would be it. See you in next Q&A!