Chapter 15

After spending five days in journey, they managed to reach Edinburgh few days before the first of May. Of course, they could have come there sooner if it wasn't for the fussy weather. 

Doctor wasn't very excited about visiting Edinburgh, he knew this city very well. Rosalynn, in the contrary, seemed pretty excited and enthusiastic. She couldn't stop looking around and admiring the surroundings. 

"Would you mind telling me what is the reason behind your excitement?" He asked her as she kept fidgeting. "Beside these ugly big grey buildings there is nothing to admire..."

"It's because of this mask. It makes it more difficult to see everything at once..." Instinctively, she wanted to take off the mask but somehow managed to keep it on her face. 

"It still does not answer my question." 

"Just look around, Doctor! Can't you see these weird colourful windows! They have different shapes and patterns!"

"These are called stained glass windows." Doctor looked surprised at Rosalynn. "They often decorate churches' interior. Haven't you got these in Eyam?"

"Uhm... Yes but the ones here are so detailed and stunning! So beautiful..." She sighed but the sound was a bit muffled because of her mask." Also the buildings here are enormous! I have never seen such tall buildings in my whole life!" Doctor shook his head in response as she was still chatting about the beauty of that city.

They were roaming through Scottish streets until they found a suitable inn to spend few nights at. Unfortunately, most of the rooms were taken except for the one which was a room with a king size bed. Doctor was fully aware of the fact that the festival attracted numerous people from outside pf Edinburgh and in most inns the rooms could have been already taken. Eventually, they paid for few nights in advance and left their belongings there. 

"Can I take the mask off?" Rosalynn asked when they were alone in the room.

"I do not see any reasons against that idea. Feel free to take it off." He said that while unpacking his things. Rosalynn smiled and took it off. The room smelled with wood and clean sheets. She came closer to the window and looked outside. There she could see people on the streets as they were walking in different directions. Some of them were disappearing in the shops below, and some were walking directly into pubs. At least these were the most popular places in Edinburgh.  

"Actually..." Doctor started suddenly. " We can change our clothes for something less formal than our Plague suits." Rosalynn was surprised with that idea but she liked it. "I will leave the room and whenever you are ready, let me know. I will be waiting on the corridor." She nodded enthusiastically in response and opened her bag. She didn't even notice when he left. Rosalynn decided that today she will be wearing a green long dress with long sleeves and little ornaments placed on edges of the dress. She also changed her shoes and put a yellow patterned headscarf on her head. All that Rosalynn could tell was that these clothes were far more comfortable than her robe and all the Plague Nurse clothing. She almost forgot how normal clothes felt like. 

When she was ready, she opened the door and Doctor came in. Looking at Rosalynn he was surprised how petite she was although he remember that fact. The dress she was wearing emphasised her fragile body shape but still looked good on her. It made Rosalynn more appealing to the eye than the Plague Nurse suit. 

 He himself also asked Rosalynn to leave the room and meanwhile he put on a dark shirt and dark trousers. As usual, he didn't take off his gloves, scarf, and mask. Also he didn't forget about his cane. When Doctor was done, he came out of the room and asked Rosalynn whether she was ready for a little walk around the town. She gladly agreed and the two set off. 

"Doctor?" Asked Rosalynn as they were passing the shops and pubs. 

"Yes?" He looked at her. 

"Is it okay for me to go out without the mask on?"

"Why wouldn't it be okay?" By the tone of his voice she could tell he was smiling. "We are not visiting the sick. Moreover, Edinburgh has already suffered from plague some time ago and there are very, very little chances it will do again anytime soon." 

"So why don't yo-" He didn't let her finish the sentence as he knew what she was going to ask him about. 

"Oh, Rosalynn, look! Have you ever seen a true Scotsman?" 

"What do you mean by that..?"

"Then have a look there." Doctor pointed a man using his cane. It wouldn't be anything unusual if it wasn't for the man's look or rather his clothing. The red-haired guy was pretty tall and muscular but instead of trousers he was wearing something that resembled a very short green checked skirt. Rosalynn covered her eyes in embarrassment and Doctor burst with laughter.  

"How can a man wear something like that?" She asked still covering her eyes. 

"You can look at him to your please, there is nothing inappropriate in the way he looks." Doctor gently took hold of her hand and removed it from her eyes. "Look, the clothing he is wearing is called kilt. It is a traditional Scottish clothing so everyone is used to that view. Except you." He was looking at her with amusement hidden behind his mask. 

"Is it truly so?" She kept looking at the man still not sure whether Doctor was joking or not. 

"Yes, it is, my dear." Rosalynn looked both relieved and confused at the same time. In her opinion it was the most bizarre view she has ever seen in her life. She couldn't imagine a man performing usual male works wearing such short skirt.

Meanwhile, the man they were talking about noticed Rosalynn's curious look and Doctor's amusement, so he quickly approached them. Rosalynn got scared with his height and muscular appearance but Doctor didn't seem to be bothered. He just titled his head to the left curiously. When the man spoke, Rosalynn couldn't understand a word he uttered. To her surprise, Doctor responded to guy's words and after few moments of small talk both of them laughed. 

"He said that he felt your gaze and wanted to greet us." Doctor explained and Rosalynn breathed a sigh of relief. 

"I see. Tell him I didn't mean to be rude-" She wanted to explain her previous behaviour but Doctor didn't even wait for her to finish the sentence.

"I have already done that. He would like to know whether we could join him and his friends this evening. They are going to the one of the nearby pubs." The man was looking directly at Rosalynn waiting for her response. As he was in front of them, she could look at him more carefully. His long red hair were tide up in a messy half pony tail which gave him more warrior-like look. He also had a stubble which was cut with a small scar from his jaw up to the eyebrow on his left side.

"Uhm. I-If you want to, Doctor, we can join them." She said not quite sure how to respond, however, the guy's blue eyes were shining friendly.

"I see no objections here." Doctor shrugged his shoulders. " As long as you are willing to go, I will go as well. Besides, it is an excellent opportunity for you to get to know Edinburgh. At least it is well known for its alcoholic beverages..." Doctor exchanged few more words with the guy and then he left them with a smile on his face. 

Rosalynn wasn't really sure about that idea of going out tonight but deep inside she was excited to experience more of Edinburgh's charms.