ATTITUDE-TYPES

1. Introversion:

Basic Definition: A basic personality style characterized by a preference for the inner life of the mind over the outer world of other people.

According to Carl Jung, someone who tends to focus more on their own thoughts and feelings rather than the external world. This person might be seen as "abstracting" because they often withdraw their emotional energy from external things. It's like they're trying to keep their distance from the outside world, almost as if they're afraid of getting too involved or controlled by it. Introverts tend to keep to themselves, preferring to detach from external things to avoid being overwhelmed. These are the reserved, quiet individuals who may seem hard to read or understand. They prefer keeping to themselves and might come across as shy or introspective. They tend to hold back their emotions and thoughts, and they often need time alone to recharge.

2. Extroversion:

Basic Definition: A basic personality style characterized by a preference for the outer world of the people.

According to Carl Jung, someone who is very outward-focused, someone who is constantly engaged with the world around them. For this person, the external world is important. They affirm the significance of external things so much that their own thoughts and feelings are always influenced by what's happening around them. They always want more from the external world, and they constantly look to increase its importance in their lives. Extraverts are the opposite, always looking to connect with and be influenced by the external world, always wanting more from it. Outgoing, sociable people who are easy to approach and seem to know everyone. They are often seen as friendly, talkative, and energetic. They thrive on social interactions and enjoy being around others, sometimes even seeking out conflict or excitement just to stay engaged.

Carl Jung believed that introvert and extravert personalities are not just quirks unique to individual personalities. They are common attitudes that go beyond just a few people. Even someone with a good understanding of people can see the difference are widespread and fundamental. These personality types are not limited to a specific group or class of people. They can be found among all walks of life, including laborers, peasants, and people of various educational backgrounds. The contrast between introversion and extraversion isn't limited to one gender either; it can be observed among women as well as men. The widespread distribution of these personality types suggests that they are not consciously chosen or determined by upbringing or education. It's not as if people decide to be introverted or extraverted based on their background. Instead, these personality types seem to have an unconscious, instinctive basis. They are not something people consciously choose but rather something inherent within them, perhaps rooted in biology.

In biological terms, like how organisms adapt to their environment, humans also adapt psychologically. This adaptation involves two primary modes: one where there's high reproduction but low individual survival, and another where individuals prioritize self-preservation but have lower fertility. In Psychological Adaptation, these biological modes influence psychological attitudes. Extraversion mirrors high reproduction mode, where individuals actively engage with the world. Introversion mirrors self-preservation mode, where individuals conserve energy by withdrawing and focusing inward. Blake describes that the analogy of two classes of men – one "prolific" and the other "devouring" – aligns with extraversion being prolific, engaging externally, and introversion being devouring, preserving internal resources. In essence, the psychological attitudes of introversion and extraversion are deeply rooted in biology. Extraverts thrive through engagement with the external world, while introverts conserve energy by focusing inward, reflecting biological principles of adaptation.

In simple terms, introverts conserve energy by focusing inward, like animals preserving resources. Extraverts engage outwardly, akin to animals prolifically spreading themselves in their environment.

Both introverted and extraverted attitudes are valid and successful, much like the two modes of biological adaptation. The extraverted attitude achieves its goals through engaging with a variety of relationships, while the introverted attitude achieves its goals by focusing on a single relationship or area of interest. Children often display distinct attitudes from an early age, suggesting that their disposition is not solely shaped by the struggle for survival or external factors such as parental influence. While it's true that a child's interactions with their mother can influence their behavior, the fact that children from the same mother can exhibit contrasting attitudes suggests that individual disposition plays a significant role. Ultimately, it's the child's inherent disposition that determines their attitude, regardless of external conditions or parental influence. This disposition is a fundamental aspect of the child's nature and may lead them to adopt either an introverted or extraverted attitude. In cases where parents have extreme attitudes, they may force a similar attitude onto their children, potentially causing psychological conflict. This can lead to neurotic behavior later in life and may need to undergo therapy to develop an attitude that is in harmony with their true nature.

Individual disposition plays a significant role in determining one's capacity or preference for adapting in a certain way, whether introverted or extraverted. People vary in their inclination towards introverted or extraverted behavior. Some find it easier or more natural to adapt to one way of being over the other. The author considers that physiological factors, which are not fully understood, may influence whether someone leans towards introversion or extraversion. Suddenly changing one's natural inclination – for instance, an introvert being pushed into an extraverted lifestyle – can harm a person's physical and mental well-being. This suggests that going against one's natural disposition can be damaging. Highlights the importance of individual differences in adapting to introverted or extraverted attitudes, acknowledges the potential role of physiological factors in shaping disposition, and suggests that going against one's natural type can have detrimental effects on health and well-being.