10 Wrapped Around His Finger

Amanda 

A grunting sound drags me out of my dreamless sleep and my eyes flutter open. Due to the opened window curtains, they shut down again, hiding away from the glimmering sunlight. I start to twist and turn around in bed and only then do I realise it's me who's groaning and whining. I reopen my eyes and attempt to sit up. That's when I feel the bile rising in my throat. My hand clutches my mouth as I sprint for the toilet. Grateful that it's unoccupied, I barge inside and release the burning liquid into the toilet.

I cough and shiver at the horrible aftertaste in my mouth. My head is spinning and tears are flowing down my cheeks. I feel a presence behind me but I don't have to look back to know who it is. The sound of her clicking tongue lets me know how disappointment is coating her like a heavy lacquer.

Despite being disappointed, she gathers my hair and pats my back while I empty the bad choice of comfort from my belly. I normally don't drink, and when I do, I do it moderately.

However, things have been tough lately. If my mom knew of what I was going through, I don't think she would be mad at me for resorting to alcohol as comfort. Well, I mainly resorted to Doris but the beer sure helped me relax at the time. Now, however, I wish I never had a shot of drink in my life.

"That's what you get for drinking too much."

Despite her mocking words, her voice is soft and I know she's worried about me. I should hurry up and get my life together so I don't add more to her plate.

"I'm sorry," I croak but I don't know if she can hear me due to all the gagging noises leaving my mouth.

"Save it for poor August," she says and I gag some more but this time because of her words. Why would I apologize to that jerk? He's one of the reasons I'm currently vomiting. "The poor guy woke up due to your loud shouting and you tried jumping him."

Her words cause me to choke and I start coughing desperately. She pats my back some more, not knowing the dangerous words she has just uttered. I pull up my head once I can breathe again and look at her dreadfully. Did he see me drunk? And I was shouting and even tried jumping him? Right after I said I needed to manage my anger? God, how embarrassing!

"I made chicken noodle soup. There's a bottle of water on the table. Drink and eat well. I would make you spill your reason for getting wasted, but I must go to work."

"What?" I ask before spitting out some of the remaining bad taste in my mouth. "But it's your day off."

"I took on an extra shift. You don't worry about it and take care of yourself. Make sure you're hydrated." She shakes her head at my state before leaving the bathroom.

I get up, quickly wash my face and rinse my mouth before chasing after her. "Mom, wait! I have saved up some money. Take the day off. We have enough for the month."

She frowns at my words before flicking me on my forehead. I flinch and glare at her. Why does she always do this when all I'm trying to do is help her out? I'm her daughter. I live here too. It's only natural that I pitch in however I can when times get tough.

"Keep saving up so you can use it for your school projects," she says as she opens the door.

"I'm only trying to help!" I whine.

"You can help by getting some food in you so you can stay alive. I can't afford funeral money." And with that, she shuts the door behind her.

I sulk as I walk back into my room, taking the water bottle on the table with me. How did I even get here last night? The last thing I remember is being with Doris and drinking like a fish. I hope her father doesn't find out about me drinking there. He knows my age and worst of all, my mother. I'm more than confident he will make it sound worse than it actually was if he finds out.