Chapter 29

ੈ✩‧₊˚
𝔼𝕞𝕞𝕒𝕝𝕚𝕟𝕖 𝕃𝕖𝕚𝕝𝕒 𝕎𝕒𝕣𝕟𝕖𝕣
ੈ✩‧₊˚

"Hey," I opened Kai's door, seeing him look up from his bed at me as I closed the door behind me, "are you okay?"

"Yeah," he cleared his throat, looking down at his crossed legs on the bed, making me clench my jaw in discomfort.

Naz left this morning, we couldn't even go with her to the airport, just told her goodbye from here. Kenji took her and since he came back, he also has been down. I mean, I don't blame him, we all were. But Kai tried to act fine, it didn't suit him. He has been so quiet ever since she left, but tried to behave normally, even when he went to his room, he didn't lock it, as if he actually didn't want to be alone.

I knew he wanted to be left alone though, he didn't want to talk about it. But he should, "you don't have to act."

"Act what?" He played dumb, making me sigh and sit across from him.

"Act like you're fine. It's okay to be upset, we all are."

"I know," he tried to smile, but it felt so forced, so sad, "but I'm fine. Trust me, I'm not going to shut myself out or anything, I'm good."

"Kai," my hand went to his shoulder up his neck, his jaw, my thumb rubbing against it, "don't lie to me. Just tell me whatever you feel."

My chest tightened when he leaned into my touch, pressing his face closer as his hand came to mine, holding it and pressing his lips to my palm, kissing it once before I was being pulled closer, his other hand going to my back until I was in his lap, his face buried in the crook of my neck as he breathed in, his arms curling around me more, "we're going to be okay, Kai."

"I'm scared," he whispered, my eyebrows lowering at the unfamiliar phrase leaving his mouth, wrapping my arms around his back to hug him back.

"Don't be," I started, remembering the words he said to me the first night he came here, "you shouldn't be, I'm here with you."

"I know," he leaned back, "but she's alone. And we don't even know for how long, we closed the borders, Emmaline."

Today, Mum called all the supremes, had a meeting and reached a decision to close the borders of every continent, even country. Nobody goes in or out. They also announced a curfew, nobody should be outside after eight at night.

"She will be fine, don't you know her?" I smiled, "she's also safe. She'll be staying at the base in Asia like we are here. We've been safe here ever since we arrived, right?"

"Yeah."

"It will be the same there," I reassured with a tilt of my head, "she'll be back before you know it. She'll handle it like Mum handled it here, like Nicolas will handle it in South America. It will all be fine."