Part 2

Mina was so close to Kai that she was able to see the little moles on Mina's face. They looked like constellations scattered across her skin.

"Mina!" Kai exclaimed, her eyes widening in disbelief as she got up and backed away. Kai couldn't help but feel confused and worried about the unexpected encounter. "I've missed you, Koa. It's been too long," Mina says while trying to reach out to Kai again. Kai hesitated for a moment, unsure of how to respond. "Mina, you're my student," Kai finally said, trying her best to make her voice firm and assertive. "We have a professional relationship, and it's important to maintain boundaries." Kai took a step back, creating some more distance between them. She could see the hurt in Mina's eyes, but she knew it was necessary to not get personally involved with a student. "Is it because of what I did last time that you're acting like this?" Mina asked, disappointment evident in her eyes.

Kai sighed, feeling a pang of guilt, as she had no idea what had happened between her brother and Mina. "It's not about what happened last time," she replied gently. "As an instructor, it's my responsibility to prioritize your growth and development. Getting personally involved could compromise that." Mina proceeds to walk up to Kai and whisper in her ear, "Did you not like the kiss?"

Kai's eyes widened in surprise at Mina's question, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment. Questions flooded her mind: "Koa and she kissed? What!? Why! How!"

Kai quickly composed herself, trying to hide her shock and embarrassment. She gently distanced herself from Mina by grabbing onto both of her arms and pushing away. "It's not about whether I liked it or not. It's about maintaining professionalism and boundaries between instructor and student."

Mina began to tear up at Kai's words and lower her head. "Not even you want me around anymore," she whispered, her voice cracking with sadness. Kai's heart ached at the sight of Mina's vulnerability, realizing the impact her words had on her. She sighed softly, releasing her grip on Mina's arms and gently cupping her face. "It's not that I don't want you around, Mina," she said softly, wiping away a tear from Mina's cheek. "I just want to make sure we both understand the importance of maintaining professional boundaries in our relationship."

"Then would you still spend time with me after school?" Mina asked, her voice hopeful. Kai hesitated for a moment, considering the request. If she says yes, it'll create a complicated situation, but if she says no, Mina will be hurt and cry. "I think it's possible," Kai replied gently. "But that doesn't mean we can get too close."

Mina gladly took that as a "yes" and smiled, feeling a glimmer of hope. She understood that their relationship had to remain within certain limits, but the fact that Koa was willing to spend time with her after school meant the world to her.

After promising to spend time with Mina, Kai thought everything would be less complicated, but she had no idea what was coming. In the following weeks, Kai started making more eye contact with Mina during class and was always treated with a warm smile from Mina. They'd always sit together during lunch with Mina's group of friends, which of course did not of unnoticed by her friends.

She and Mina would spend most of their time in the library after school, in one of the corners where bookshelves provided a sense of privacy. They would sit side by side, engrossed in their books, occasionally stealing glances at each other and exchanging subtle smiles. Mina cherished these stolen moments, as they were the only times she felt truly connected to Koa.

At first, Kai tried to help Mina with her homework, but Mina, being one of the top students, didn't need help. So most of the time, they would read together, play games, or even take naps. They got closer in just two weeks. Kai, thinking she did right, was oblivious to the way Mina looked at her. She was just glad Mina wasn't sad or crying, thinking that Mina might be feeling lonely and just needed some company.