Chapter Thirty Six: Do What You Gotta Do

🩷Gwen's POV🩷

By the time I got out of the arcade, I heard Jay to Pup, E, and Q say: "Over the roofs. Cut them off." "Yup," Pup said as he went off. Celia started to run after them but Mal stopped her, "Hey, hey, hey, hey not you. They got this. You, Serena, me, and Gwen gotta go find the ember."

She turned to look at me. "And what took you so long?" "I'll tell you later." I said. "Good timing," Serena said as she led to the Evil Quartet's lair, "It's right about Hades's nap time." Celia and Serena led me and Mal to a cave entrance that had a locked metal gate in front of it.

It had the outline of a skull on it with the words 'Get lost!' above it. Guess he doesn't like visitors. Serena put the key in the keyhole and turned it, just as I noticed the sign behind Celia. "Hey. How big is that dog?" I asked Celia as I gestured the 'Beware of Dog!' sign behind Serena.

"You'll see," Celia told me and Mal, seriously before opening the gate and walking inside. Mal and I both looked at each other and sighed before following the girls. "Okay, stay quiet. It echoes like crazy in here," Serena warned us before leading the way through the cave.

Me and Mal jumped when we heard a dog. This is way scarier than going down the kitchen at 3 am in the morning to get a slice of cake. What? I bet you do that too. "Come on," Serena said as she gestured to me and Mal to keep moving, "Come on." Celia and Serena led me and Mal over to a four-person bike that had mining hats on it.

We put the hats on and turned on the lights before getting on the bike and riding it through the tunnels. Celia gave Mal and I a thumbs up as we came to a stop in front of the entrance to Hades' lair. We quietly got off the bike and put the hats down before Celia and Serena led us into the lair.

Celia dramatically gestured around the lair as Mal and I looked down below to see Hades sleeping in a chair, which was awkwardly placed in the middle of the lair. There were two kids who were playing a game of cards on the floor. They suspiciously looked like Mythomagic cards.

We quietly walked down the stairs as Celia pointed to the sleeping Hades with the ember on the table next to him causing Mal to nod. The kids noticed and Serena put a finger to her lips. The girl nodded. We carefully continued down the stairs when the barking started again causing me and Mal to look around.

Celia smiled and pointed to a record player that was playing a record.
Ok, but that's smart. Not gonna lie.
I rolled my eyes as Mal was about to walk straight towards Hades when Serena stopped her. The girl gestured for Mal to go to the right, so she could sneak behind Hades.

Now that I mention it, she and her brother looked like Bianca and Nico di Angelo. As Mal crept towards Hades, Celia got annoyed with the record and turned it off, which caused Hades to wake up. Good call Celia, good call. "What are you doing here?" Hades asked the girls, without opening his eyes.

"We noticed you were low on canned corn," Serena told the god of the underworld as he turned to look at her. She tossed him a can as he caught it in one hand as his other hand shot out and caught Mal's wrist just as she was about to grab the ember and slowly turned to face Mal.

"Hi, Dad," Mal said, simply as Celia, Serena, Bianca, and Nico looked at me shocked. I shrugged as everyone looked back at them. I already knew Hades was Mal's dad, she told me and E and I have to admit, it is pretty shocking. "Dad, you never told us you had another kid." Bianca said.

Hades took off his sunglasses and jokingly waved at Bianca. "Quite the show you and Mary's daughter put on the other day," Hades told Mal. "Right back at you," Mal glared. "Hmm. I was just coming to see you," Hades said with a grin as he and Mal both stood up.

"Really? Wonder why. Is it because I'm going to be Queen?" Mal mockingly asked her dad. "Ah! Now, Mal, don't be bitter," Hades laughed as he looked at himself in the mirror.
Okay, he's calm and that's a good sign, right? "You abandoned me when I was a baby," Mal reminded her dad as she crossed her arms.

Wow, getting straight into it. "No. No, I left your mother," Hades told Mal as he pointed at her, "She's not the easiest person to get along with." "You think?" Mal asked, sarcastically.

"Huh. You see," Hades wrapped a scarf around his neck as he walked over to Mal, "We have something in common already. We both hate your mother." "No," Mal said, angrily as she pointed at Hades, "I don't hate my mother. She may be an evil lunatic but at least she stuck around."
True, true.

"Oh! Boo-hoo," Hades said, mockingly, "Wake up and smell the stink. You think you've had it rough. I used to be a god! I had an entire world that bore my name. And now I have nothing! And you have no idea what that feels like." "Nico, go get the popcorn." Serena whispered.

Nico ran to get the popcorn. "Really? Because for 16 years, I had nothing," Mal told Hades angrily, "And now I have a whole world but unless I get that ember, It's game over," Mal held out her hand towards Hades while he started to think. "Hold please," Hades pushed Mal's hand away and turned around.

"Do you wanna make up for being a lousy dad?" Mal asked Hades as she turned to face him and held out her hand, "Give me the ember." "The ember only works for me,"Hades told Mal. "No. It'll work for me," Mal said, confidently, "We're blood." At this point, me, Celia, Serena, Nico and Bianca were just eating popcorn and watching the drama.

"You're only half Hades," Hades informed Mal, "The ember won't do everything for you it does for me." "I'll take my chances," Mal gave him a fake smile. Hades huffed before placing the ember in her hand. Mal gave him one last fake smile before walking up the stairs. "If it gets wet, it's game over," Hades called after her.

Me, Serena, and Celia waved goodbye to the di Angelos before leaving. Before I followed her, I heard Hades say, "That's my girl." I smiled, softly before quickly following Serena, Mal and Celia.

"I guess that's the reason why he's always asking about you," Serena told Mal as we made our way through the tunnels. Mal paused as Serena, Celia and I looked at her. "Evie and Gwen are the only ones, who know that he's my dad," Mal told them, in a serious tone as Celia and Serena gave her an understanding nod,

"And as far as I'm concerned, he doesn't even exist." Mal sighed as Celia and Serena led us to the others.
"It'll be okay," I assured Mal as I wrapped an arm around Mal's shoulder. Mal sighed, "I hope so."And with that we continued to follow Celia.