She hesitated. "You're sure you're not mad at me?"

Ion lowered his hands and rose to his feet. "I'm not mad." He gave a simple shrug. "Not even a little," he added.

Though wary she remained, the girl's demeanor was clearly calmed by these words.

Ion wanted a better look at what it was she clutched so tightly to her chest. "What is that you're holding?"

The fear returned to her face, and she tightened her hold. That piece of information was apparently too precious to share.

"Listen. I'm not here to steal from you, and I'm not here to hurt you. I'm just here to get my waterskin back."

She mumbled something again. When it was clear Ion didn't hear her, she quietly muttered, "I need it."

"You need it?" The audacity, Ion thought. "Yeah, so do I."

"You don't understand, I..." tears welled up in her eyes. "...I need it more than you! For... for something..." she trailed off.

"Alright," Ion sighed, "alright. You need it. For what?"

She held the unidentifiable object closer than ever before. She didn't want to say. "Please..."

Ion had been inching closer to her throughout this exchange, and now stood from her just a meter off, face-to-face. He peered at the object she held. Is that...?

She spun around in an effort to hide it from his view.

"An egg?"

She crouched down to shield it even further.

It was an egg, an off-white oblong ovoid that fit neatly in her arms.

"He's hot... I need to cool him down..." She glanced at Ion from over her shoulder; a silent and steady stream of tears now adorned her face.

Ion reached out to try and calm her. She flinched, sinking even further to the earth, forming into an egg shape herself, almost. She didn't want Ion to see "him," nor did she want him to see her. She very much wished Ion would simply go away.

Ion threw up his hands in frustration. He paced for a moment, not knowing what to say. "Okay... okay. I get it. I'm just curious, is all. That egg—"

"Vio!" she cried. "His name is Vio!"

"Alright, Vio. Tell me about Vio." Ion circled the girl and knelt down in front of her.

She was quiet for a moment, then spoke softly, as if to herself. "I found him alone, all by himself... If I don't pour water on him, he'll overheat. I'm sure of it... that's why I took your water pouch. I need it, or he'll die." She uncurled, if only a bit, to look at Ion with her soulful brown eyes.

"I understand." He didn't. "Vio means a lot to you."

She nodded.

"Can I see him?"

Hesitant, she looked into her arms. Ion could tell she was loathe to share. Even so, she sat up and let Ion have a look. He peered at the egg, trying to act more interested than he was. "Hey, Vio." Vio did not respond. Ion looked at the girl. The last rays of sunset behind her illuminated the frays of her mousy hair. "What's your name?"

"Naim."

"Name? Your name is name?"

She nodded, and met his gaze. "Yours?"