While they walked, she said, "Roger, I erased the video from last night." His grip tensed. "You don't need to explain anything to me, and don't think I expect anything from you." He relaxed a bit.

She wrapped herself around his arm, "I'm unconditionally on your side. I never thought someone would jump into danger and protect me like you did. And then, you know, the other thing. So, I will always be there for you. If we divorce and fifty years from now, you come to find me, I'll be there."

He stopped and looked at her, "Thank you, Claire. It's hard for me to talk about it. Secrecy was ingrained into me from the moment I could talk." I'm here for you, Honey.

A few hours later, they were sitting across from each other, enjoying pizza and light conversation

A few hours later, they were sitting across from each other, enjoying pizza and light conversation. Roger had drank one beer. Olivia had finished a bottle of wine and was almost done with a second.

Roger smiled, "What did you think of the pizza?"

"My God, that sauce you made is amazing," she answered, "Thanks for cooking. I don't cook, but I'll be happy to watch you cook and eat what you make. Deal?" she added with a wink.

"Sure! I can cook dinner when you're home. That way, I can contribute something." I feel like I'm mooching here.

"You don't—" she was about to dismiss his offer, "If that's what you want, I'll eat your food any day."

"Thanks, Claire."

"Roger, if you were dying and you had the money, would you give 100 million to live?" She asked.

He didn't think about it, "Sure. Who wouldn't?"

"My grandfather was dying, and you saved him, and I was dying, and you saved me." She let the statement hang.

"Ok. I get it!"

"Do you really? I watched myself seconds from dying, and the only thing between death and me was you! So anything I give you, its value is weighed against my life." A tear fell down her cheek.

There was a long silence, each lost in their thoughts. Claire opened another bottle of wine and drank.

Roger's mind whirled. How can I tell her that my grandfather forbade me from taking anything for healing? That path led our ancestors to ruin. It's not that her life isn't special; it's that I don't want to lose myself. If it becomes about wealth, then where does it stop? I hope I can make you understand that I'm not ungrateful for what you're doing.

Claire broke the silence, "I had your stuff moved here. It's easier to protect one house, so you can stay in the bedroom next to mine." Claire's eyes were glassy.

"Ok. It's better if we stick together until we find the people doing this."

Claire finished the third bottle.

"Yes. We need to stick together. We need to talk about those people and my grandfather. He was looking for you, you know? Tomorrow, I think I drank too much."