"That's my queue." Dean Carter stood and walked to the stage.

The room was silenced by a man who introduced the dean and for the next hour, the dean spoke on various issues affecting the university and how it had grown since its beginning in 1862. Harper took every opportunity to glance throughout the room hoping to see Ben. She had built up her nerve to ask him to dance and was hoping when she did see him, he would be alone. She couldn't bear the thought of him with Lisa on his arm. She was relieved when the dean finished with his speech. After getting directions for the powder room from the dean's wife, she quickly excused herself and made her way towards the lobby.

Once in the powder room she decided to call Ben but noticed a missed call from him. Tapping the redial icon she listened to his voicemail.

"I'm not going to make it tonight. Call when you can."

Harper quickly tapped his number on her screen and waited for him to answer.

"Are you at the school?"

"Yes, where are you?"

"I'm on my way to mom's," he replied. "Grandmother passed away an hour ago."

"I'm so sorry."

"She hasn't been well for the past few years," he said. "We should've been expecting it, but we weren't. I'm the Executor of the will so I'm going to be busy for the next couple days. I've left a message with Brett, but it may be Monday before I can get back to the lot."

"Don't worry about the movie. It'll wait. Who's handling the arrangements?"

"Collier's Funeral Home in Colliersville. Visitation is tomorrow night starting at five and the funeral is Saturday at noon. I need to go, Harper. Moms beeping in."

Harper heard the sadness in his voice and wished there was something she could do to help him.

Soon she was on her way back to the table and sat down next to Brett.

"You just missed the Advertising Professor who tried to sell me his screenplay. Everybody's a writer." He cut her a sideways glance then rolled his eyes.

"Let's go."

"Really?" He waited for her to nod then stood. They quickly walked towards the lobby, stopping to say good-bye to the dean and his wife on their way. A few seconds later, Brett called the driver and soon they were in the limousine and on their way back to the lot. Harper thought only of Ben and his family. She would have given anything to be with him.

"I missed a call." Brett said, reminding her that she should've told him to check his messages earlier. He listened to his voicemail. "Hmm, not good. Ben had a death in the family this evening. He's not going to be able to work for the next few days."

Once they were back on the lot, Harper quickly changed. Keeping her phone close in case Ben called, she sat on the couch and flipped through the television stations. Finally turning the TV off she sat in the dark wishing there was something she could do. She laid her head on the pillow at one end until she fell asleep. The ringing of the phone woke her the next day.

"Hello?" she said, barely able to open her eyes.

"Harper, its Neva. I guess you know about Lillian?"

"Who?" She rubbed her eyes.

"Ben's Grandmother. She passed last night."

Harper realized that she had never heard her first name before.

"Well, John and I are going to the visitation and wondered if you wanted to go with us or follow us out there?"

"What time are you going?"