"Everyone here thought you knew and just didn't care." Mom said.

"And you didn't correct them?" Lisa asked, her tone indicating just how upset she is and I'm just getting angrier.

"We tried at first, but people gossip, and that's what they prefer to believe. I can't force anyone to think the way you would like them to think." Mom replied curtly.

"Kai, we ..."

"Kailani! No nicknames from any of you. Please just leave. I'll talk to Lili today and try to talk to her about speaking to you. That's the most I can do, I won't force her, and I won't let you force her to be near you." I told them.

"That's acceptable." Leati said.

"Now you can leave."

"Kailani, will I ever be able to fix things between us?" he asked.

"Don't get your hopes up." I said, shutting the door.

"Lani ..." My mother sighed.

"What am I going to do?" I sniffled.

"Oh baby, come here. We're going to be just fine." she said, wrapping her arms around me.

"What are we going to do?"

"You and I are going to talk to Lili, and we're going to let her know that he's here to stay, apparently. We're going to let her ask questions, ask her not to judge him, and possibly open her heart to her father. I agree with you about not forcing her to be around him, I won't let that happen, either. We are going to take things day by day."

"What am I going to do?" I muttered.

"You are going to stay strong and listen to your heart."

"That's what got me in this position to start with." I complained

"Listen to your head and your heart. I'm not telling you to get back with him, but I'm not telling you not to get back with him, either. Take your time and think about things, try to let go of that anger. Whatever your decision is, that man is going to be around you now. For yourself and your peace, you need to find a way to let go of the anger you hold towards him. I have to do the same. I'm not saying you have to get back with him, just that we need to find a way to forgive them for our peace of mind. It's not good for your soul to hold onto such dark feelings." she said.

"I don't know what the right thing to do is." I sighed.

"His presence is going to make things harder on you, and I know that, but you're strong, Lani. Stronger than you give yourself credit for. Take the time that you need to do what's best for you and only what's best for you."

"Easier said than done." I muttered.

"I know, day by day." she insisted.

"Day-by-day." I repeated.

Just to distract myself, I went back to my office, but I couldn't focus on anything, so I shut down my laptop. For about 3 hours, I just sat in my chair, looking out the window. There are so many questions rambling around in my head that don't and won't have a response. Not an honest one, anyway.

"Mom! I'm home!"

My daughter brought me out of my daze, and when I walked into the kitchen she was sitting at the counter, snacking on something my mother made.

"Lani, eat something." Mom said. "You haven't eaten since I got here."

"Why haven't you eaten?" Lili asked.

"A little stressed out." I told her.

"What happened? He came here, didn't he?" she angrily asked.

"Yes, Leati and his parents came to talk to me." I admitted.