"Well, kid, I just want you to be happy."

Her dad's words brought her back to this moment. "Changing the subject, what are you doing Wednesday night? I need a date."

"What about Mr. South Dakota?" Brock raised his brow and smiled.

Harper rolled her eyes.

He chuckled. "I'd be honored to go with the lady who's got a Song of Year nomination."

She laid her head on the bar and moaned.

"Problem?"

"I don't want to do that stupid song with Jake."

"Then don't do it," Brock said, nonchalantly.

"If I don't, the tabloids would love it." Harper rose and put her elbow on the bar. She rested her forehead in her hand.

Brock pushed to his feet and then slid the stool under the bar. "Why don't you come home and stay with me tonight? Kristi and the boys would love it. Heck, I'd love it."

~

"Well, I think we're a bit early." Emma sat on the opposite end of the couch from Ben and turned on the television. "What time's this thing start?"

"Eight." Ben said, checking his phone. Again. He was surprised he hadn't heard from Harper. He was hoping to at least get a text from her by now. Brett's call about the script change wouldn't sit well with her. It sure hadn't with him.

"Do either of you want coffee? Gloria asked. When they both said they didn't, she took her seat between them.

"Is Harper's show on yet?" Grams entered the room and sat in the rocker recliner. She covered herself with the nearest quilt.

"It is now." Emma motioned to the television.

A deep voice announced the program and soon the television set revealed Brock. He sat on a stool on the large stage and sang a hit song from decades past. Harper and Cole were on stools to each side of their father. All three played guitars. Several lights lit up the stage and other band members played various instruments near the back. As the camera quickly panned the crowd, many well known musicians and actors could be seen keeping time with the beat.

"I remember that song," Emma said as Brock sang. "Boy, he was as big in the 90s and she is now. Almost saw him in concert in '92."

Gloria eyes widened. "No, you didn't."

Emma nodded. "Sure did. I was working in Oklahoma City and he came to town. Concert made the local news that night. Got kind of rowdy. Probably a good thing I wasn't there." Emma laughed and glanced at Ben, who wasn't hiding his amusement. The camera quickly cut to Harper and then rested on Brock.

"We'd like to welcome everyone here tonight. I've got a couple of my kids with me. I'm pretty sure you know Harper here." Brock winked at her as the crowd applauded. "And the hooligan to my left is Cole. His first album came out last month and he's doing pretty good on the charts, aren't you, son?" Cole grinned as the women in the room screamed. "Take it away, Cole."

Cole played Clueless while Brock assisted on the banjo and Harper sang backup. When the audience came to their feet, Brock and Harper exchanged smiles.

"He ain't too bad, is he folks?" Brock teased after Cole's song came to a loud end and the crowd settled.

"You ready, sweetheart?" Brock asked.

Harper smiled as she strummed her guitar then started singing the song she had written for her mother. There wasn't a dry eye in the house when she finished.