⚜♚ 6. The Tariq Family ♚⚜

Start from the beginning

Great, the parents are happy. 

What about the girl?

*

Yamna

"Would you like to marry me, Yamna Yasin?"

I pressed my hands against my face, resisting the urge to squeal.

"Yamna?" 

I looked up and saw Mama come in and close the door behind her. She came and sat down beside me. "I know that you already refused one rishta, Yamna, so I would understand if..." Her tone was teasing.

I bit my lower lip shyly, shaking my head.

"You don't want to marry Rohaan?" 

"Mama!" I wrapped my arms around her, burying my face against her neck.

"Yamna Yasin, do you want to marry Rohaan?" She whispered.

I nodded. "Yes."

"Oh, my sweet Yamna. I'm so happy for you." She kissed the side of my head. She pulled back, placing both her hands on my cheeks. She kissed my forehead and got up. "Let me go and tell everyone."

"I...I'll come with you." I said. "I'll...I'll hide behind you." 

"Meri pyari si jaan." She took my hand and led me out of the room. 

I kept my gaze lowered. Rohaan was cleaning up the soup, while his parents and Papa were still in the foyer, waiting for us.

"It's a yes from Yamna." Mama announced.

I squeezed Mama's hand, not daring to look up.

"Alhumdulillah!" Anabia Tayi's tearful voice finally made me look down, and I saw her looking up at us, a tear running down her cheek.

Papa and Tayan hugged each other tightly for a few moments, with Papa seeming emotional and Tayan patting his back reassuringly.

Mama led me downstairs, and as we passed by Rohaan, I looked up at him. There was awe in his gaze, and a small smile. My mother hugged Anabia Tayi tightly, both of them crying.

My aunt then hugged me tightly, kissing my cheek and giving me numerous duas.

Then Tayan turned to me and placed a hand over my head. I wrapped my arms around his waist, resting my head against his chest and closing my eyes, feeling emotional. "Yas, she was already ours, and now it's going to be official in a completely different way, In Sha Allah."

Rohaan came downstairs, setting the tray and the bowl as well as the floor wipes on the side table.

"My boy!" Papa pulled him in a hug.

"The kids have truly surprised us." Anabia Tayi said. "But this is the best surprise ever!"

The front door opened and Arsalan Bhai walked in. He looked at everyone, eyebrows raised. "Assalam Alaikum! Why is everyone gathered here?" 

"Walaikum Assalam!" Everyone replied.

"Arsu, congratulations!" Anabia Tayi hugged him. "Your brother finally got the long lost akal."

Arsal Bhai looked at me, then at Rohaan, before a huge grin lit up his face. "Finally, yaar!" He strode forward to hug his brother.

I took the tray and the bowl and took it to the kitchen, my cheeks burning. I started to wash it, when I felt his presence beside me.

"I would love to hear your answer myself." 

"You heard my answer through Mama." I replied, simply.

"I want to hear you say, hamster." He leaned against the counter. "It's really important for me to know that my wife-to-be fully consents to our relationship, and is not under any sort of pressure from anyone."