Part 1

I swung the door shut in a hurry, not intending to create such a thunderous slam. At least twelve pairs of eyes darted towards me but my mind was too cloudy to register each one. I searched only for the small hazel ones that I could seek some form of solace in.

"Leave with me," I implored.

Claire's eyes reflected an extreme concern and anxiety that I tried to assure her would be soothed in due time. Sensing the depth of my despair, she agreed to accompany me homeward, away from the fresh wounds here at Thornfield.

"I'll call for the carriage then," she responded to my welling eyes.

Just then, I heard the familiar creaking of the library's door and turned to see him standing there. The distorted facade I had seen before has fallen and left behind only a man. I wished so desperately he would avert his eyes, turn away, and act as though he hadn't seen my cheeks flush and a tear fall. But he didn't. He stood and watched as I turned to my friend and then to the hall. I had to escape this room. I stopped only when he grabbed my arm. It wasn't my place to resist but I felt so dreadful that I had to pull away.

"Blanche," he snapped.

"What do you want me to say?" I retorted with tears flowing hot now.

"You won't speak to me this way in my house."

"Fine then I won't speak to you at all."

"Is there something I'm missing?"

"Only the fact that you've been to me."

"How so?" He seemed overwhelmed by my anger.

"You've led me on to believe that you have the money to keep this house. That you can support me, my needs, a future for the two of us. How could you gain my mother's trust and then leave me to realize your truths via a deranged gypsy woman?"

"Blanche," he said helplessly.

"I've called for a carriage, I'll be leaving within the hour. Arrange for my mother's departure, will you?"

"You're making a mistake."

"Maybe so, but at least I have a chance at finding a man who can tell the truth for a change." With that, I departed to my room.

My tears had dried by then but I could feel them pushing at my eyes a second time. The minutes stretched into an eternity as I hurriedly packed my belongings. While I descended the staircase with my bags in tow, Claire waited in the foyer, her eyes with concern.

"Blanche, are you sure about this?" she asked.

I replied, "I can't stay here, Claire. Not after what I've heard from the gypsy woman."