004. Thalia Torches New England

Start from the beginning

He cleared his throat and held one hand up dramatically.

"Green grass breaks the snow.
Artemis pleads for my help.
I am so cool."

He grinned at us, waiting for applause. I tried to hold in my laugh, making Thalia nudge me with her elbow, again.

"How many times are you going to do that today?"

"That last line was only four syllables," Artemis said.

Apollo frowned. "Was it?"

"Yes. What about 'I am so big headed?"

"No, no, thats six syllables. Hmm." He started muttering to himself.

Zoë Nightshade turned to us. "Lord Apollo has been going through this haiku phase ever since he visited Japan. 'Tis not as bad as the time he visiting Limerick. If Id had to hear one more poem that started with, 'There was once a goddess from Sparta—'

"Ive got it!" Apollo announced. "I am so awesome. Thats five syllables!" He bowed, looking very pleased with himself. "And now, sis. Transportation for the Hunters, you say? Good timing. I was just about ready to roll."

"These demigods will also need a ride," Artemis said, pointing to us. "Some of Chiron's campers."

"No problem!" Apollo checked us out. "Lets see . . . Thalia, right? I've heard all about you."

Thalia blushed. "Hi, Lord Apollo."

"Zeus's girl, yes? Makes you my half sister. Used to be a tree didnt you? Glad youre back. I hate it when pretty girls get turned into trees. Man, I remember one time—"

"Brother," Artemis said. "You should get going."

"Oh right." Then he looked at Percy. "Percy Jackson?"

"Yeah. I mean . . . yes, sir."

Apollo studied him, but didnt say anything before turning to me. He hesitated at my name. "Evelyn . . . Everlight! Aphrodite kid, pretty. Well! We'd better load up, huh? Ride only goes one way—west. And if you miss it, you miss it."

"Cool car," Nico said.

"Thanks kid," Apollo said.

"But how will we all fit?"

"Oh." Apollo seemed to notice the problem for the first time. "Well, yeah, I hate to change out of sports-car mode but i suppose . . ."

He took out his keys and beeped the security alarm button. Chirp Chirp

For a moment, the car glowed brightly again. When the glare dies, the Maserati had been replaced by one of those Turtle Top shuttle buses like we used for school basketball games.

"Right," he said. "Everybody in."

Zoë ordered the Hunters to start loading. She picked up her camping pack. and Apollo said, "Here, sweetheart. Let me get that."

Zoë recoiled. Her eyes flashed murderously.

"These girls are scary." I muttered

"Brother." Artemis chided. "You do not help my Hunters. You do not look at, talk to, or flirt with my Hunters. And you do not call them sweetheart."

Apollo spread his hands. "Sorry. I forgot. Hey, sis, where are you off to anyway?"

"Hunting," Artemis said. "Its none of your business."

"Ill find out. I see all. I see all. Know all."

Artemis snorted. "Just drop them off, Apollo. And no messing around.!"