52 | it's not that big of a deal

Start from the beginning

"Uh, can I?" Maddison questions, turning to Addison.

"Sure." Addison gives her small smile. "I think O'Malley's sticking around anyway."

"I would love to, Dr. Burke." Maddison replies, and Burke nods.

"Then, scrub in." Burke tells her, and the girl nods.

"Okay, keep me posted." Addison tells them, and moves to leave. "Hey, Preston."

"Good seeing you, Addison." Burke replies, and Derek turns to Burke after Addison leaves.

"What?" Burke asks sly.

"She gets to call you by your first name and I don't." He questions. "I thought Liam did because you knew him longer."

"I like her." Burke replies.

"And you don't like me?" Derek asks.

"No." Burke shakes his head.

Maddison laughs, and the three attending turn to her.

"I'll- uh, I'll, just..." Maddison rushes away, preparing to scrub in.

"OKAY EVERYONE." Burke says, as they all stand in the OR. "I'm going to do a thoracotomy and Hannah here is going to pull her hand out. Dr. Grey, is going to clamp the bleeder when we have more exposure, and Dr. Sloan and I are going to start operating." He then turns to the paramedic, Hannah. "Ready?"

"More than ready." Hannah replies.

"Scalpel." Burke holds out his hand and a nurse hands him the tool.

Somewhere in the hospital, Alex sprints down the halls, trying to stop the surgery after finding out about the bazooka.

"Okay, on the count of the 3. One..." Burke counts down. "Two..." Just then the door slams open and Alex looks in, breathless.

"Dr. Burke?" He calls, out of breath. "I need to speak with you."

"I am in surgery, Karev." Burke raises an eyebrow.

"You wanna talk to me sir." Alex insists.

Burke looks at for a moment, and then hands the scapple back, and walks over.

"Karev, if you interrupt me in my OR it better be for a good damn reason." Burke whispers, as the others could not hear the two.

"Was it through and through?" Alex asks.

"What?" Burke's eyebrows furrow.

"The wound on James Carlson. Was it through and through?" Alex asks again.

"No, it was just an injury. No exit. Why?" Burke answers, and Alex looks down.

"He's cute. He single?" Hannah asks Meredith.

Everyone in the OR team look at each other confused, as Burke and Alex converse.

They finally stop whispering, and Burke turns to them.

"Hannah." Burke calls.

"Yes, Dr. Burke?" Hannah asks.

"What do you feel?" He asks. "Inside of Mr. Carlson. What is your hand touching?"

"What do you mean?" Hannah replies, confused.

"Is your hand touching anything hard?" Burke clarifies.