"It's broken," Mason stated when he glanced down at it. "It broke with Jenna's ribs."

"Thank you detective," I shot as I brought my foot up to the bed. It would need to be set so that it would heal correctly. I didn't want to have a crooked toe for the rest of my life.

"I can do that for you." He stepped towards me. "It'll be quick and easy."

I sighed and pretended to think about it for a moment. It was nice to have him stewing over this. I held my foot out for him.

He did a good job at hiding his grin. Maybe he knew what I was doing. It wasn't often that I had him groveling, so I wanted to milk it.

He covered my foot with his hands and held it for a moment. "Do you want to look while I set it?"

I shook my head. He smirked as he brought his face closer to mine. "Shall I distract you then?"

I didn't have to move. Mason knew what I wanted. He could distract me from the world ending if he had to. When his lips were almost at mine, I felt sharp pain radiate up my leg. I didn't have a chance to scream at him because his mouth caught the noise.

And just in Mason's reputation, we didn't argue or fight the rest of the night. I needed Mason and I knew he needed me. I wouldn't have anyone trying to get in between us. I would make sure that we woke up with a mate bond between us.

---

Waking up, I could sense that Mason was still asleep. The mating bond brought a whole new level to what I could sense from him.

Mason was wonderful and attentive when he was getting what he wanted. The marking process hadn't even hurt, really. The only pain came from the facial bone structure changes when the time came to exchange the bites, but even that wasn't bad.

The process was worth it. He was nothing like what my first bite had been. Mason was a good guy. I could feel it in the bond that ran between us. I felt warm and wanted and loved.

Mason was mine and I was his. Anyone who looked at us would know. This went so much deeper than I ever thought it could.

I pressed up against him, feeling his response through the bond immediately. He ran his hands along my side before it rested in my hip.

I could understand why mated couples stayed together for so long. This was addictive and delightful, why would anyone ever want to leave their mate? My thoughts from before paled in comparison now. I wouldn't trade Mason for the world.

"You should've talked me into this before," I muttered before kissing his naked chest. "I like this." I could feel his response to my skin against his and my lips on his chest.

He chuckled. "I tried. You were too damaged for it."

I kissed up his chest to his neck. "What a shame that was. We could have had this all along."

He made a sound of agreement. I snuck a glance at his face. It wasn't often Mason looked so happy; it was usually when we were alone. I was happy to think that I was the only one in the world who could make him this happy, this satisfied with his life.

This bond made me wonder why mates got out of bed at all. This feeling of closeness was indescribable.

It was safe to say that we didn't get out of bed that day, and no one came to bother us.

---

The next day, when we decided to get out of bed, I was still in awe of this bond with Mason. I had never felt so close to him, or anyone else for that matter. I also felt incredibly guilty that I had been delaying this for years. If only I hadn't been so damaged, if only I had trusted him completely, this whole thing wouldn't have been an issue.