Chapter 4: Day one

JUNICHIRO TANIZAKI POV:

I stumbled back into the Detective Agency café, brushing off all the dirt that climbed up my jeans with the hasty run I did on the way back here. The café had the usual tranquility to it, but there was an uncomfortable sense of distress in the air that couldn't be shaken away.

My walk up to the main office was purely saddening, it hit me that within a short few days, I wouldn't walk up these stairs in the same way. Perhaps I would be walking up here for the purpose of hurting the members, or getting valuable information from them to give to the Port Mafia.

Before now, saying "The Port Mafia" was like spitting out pure hatred into one name, but now saying it felt numb, with no real understanding of what it truly meant on the inside. After meeting Tachihara and becoming friends with him with just a short span of a day, it changed my view on everyone in the Mafia. They all had a story, a reason to be where they were. From traumatising to comfort, they all must have an understandable reason to be there.

At the end of the day, I had a perfect reason to be a mafia affiliate. Yet I turned that trauma into ultimate protection for my sister and the people I loved.

The familiar scent of gingerbread captivated the office from Ranpo's desk, Poe had gifted him the candle at valentine's day and Ranpo now refuses to let a soul near it other than Yosano.

"Tanizaki, a word?" Ranpo used a stern tone, not one that could scare you but one that meant he was serious.

"Uh, yeah.. sure" I stammered, swallowing harshly and picking at my nails with aggression.

We walked off into his dorm room, which was perfectly designed to fit his personal aesthetic. The walls were painted a light brown with vines hanging down from the ceiling, laced with fairy lights and random flowers here and there. His bed lay in the corner of the room, posters hanging down with pictures of his favourite bands and albums just above it and a desk on the opposite side of the room where he seemed to "work", more like sitting there and solving cases in a matter of a few seconds.

"You know, don't you Junichiro?"

Now as much as I would love to say I didn't have a clue what he was talking about, of course I fucking did. He's the greatest detective there ever was, with an IQ higher than 200, barely anything manages to slip past him.

I sighed deeply and sat down on his bed.
"Yeah."
"Yeah, I do."

His previously opened eyes closed and he took a seat right next to me. Me and Ranpo were always close, his presence was one thing that gave a comfort and always helped me know where I was and where my priorities lay. We just had an understanding of each other that other people didn't see in each other, we know exactly what the other is feeling without even having to ask. He was someone who I would miss dearly, I took Ranpo as one of my best friends, hell I could even compare him to a brother in some situations.

"I'm sorry, Ranpo." I muttered, with a shaky sigh letting out involuntarily.

"Don't be, it was bound to be one of us, you were just the unlucky one Tani."

Unlucky one huh? That was one way to put my life into a couple words.

"You've been there for me since day one of my detective works, Ranpo. I don't know how i'm gonna be able to turn against you."

"Act like it never happened. I know you're a good actor Junichiro, you were in a series of shows before you became a detective. Not to mention your past with your parents. Just.. erase us all." Ranpo said, clearly regretting every word but he would never admit that.

I know it's for the best I forget them, but I simply can't. I can't forget the days where I had hit rock bottom, spending day and night awake and completely exhausted to the core but the second I stepped foot in the agency, they took me under their wing and cared for me like I was their child.

They're a bunch of idiots who may not be biologically related to me, but they are my family and not a single person nor gang will ever have the power to change that or take it away from me.

It was only at that thought, that I noticed the tears driving down my face. I picked at the skin on my nails and gritted my teeth, my breath heavy and my cheeks stained with a track of tears. Ranpo took my hand and said a few words calmly, a few words that would stick with me forever, a few words that no matter what organisation I was settled in, would be there with me.

"No matter mafia member or not, you're Junichiro Tanizaki. You are you. You have emotions, a heart and care for the people around you."

My heart hurt. My chest hurt. Everything was in a wreck of pure fucking pain that I couldn't get rid of like usual.

Ranpo stood up from his bed and held out his hand, inviting me to come with him still in my wrecked state. Without a second thought, I took his hand and was lead with him wherever he was going.

We reached the main office, everyone turning to look at me almost instantly. My face was still tear stained and my fingers dripping with blood from how much I had picked at them.

Kunikida was the first to approach, in a calm yet worried manner. He was always like that, so stern yet so truly caring for everyone he loved. Everyone in the Agency that is, i'm sure he would discard the fact he ever cared for me when I move.

"Tanizaki! What happened? Did someone get attacked? More importantly, are you feeling alright? You look incredibly distressed right now." Kunikida exclaimed.

I couldn't bring myself to say a word. My mind didn't have a place to think at this moment in time at all, I didn't know what to do with myself. The only people who knew why I was acting the was I was were myself, Ranpo and Tachihara.

The name bolted through my mind "Tachihara."

I tugged myself away from Kunikida and darted out of the office door and through the cafe out into the open air of Yokohama. My phone buzzed in my pocket with a message.

"Leaving in a hurry are we, tanizaki?"

I was confused. Not only that but petrified. The new added stressful moment only piled on top of my previous panic. Someone was able to see me right now, and I didn't know who.

Until a voice spoke up behind me.

"Relax yourself."

———————————————————
Word count: 1178
A/N

THIS TOOK SO LONG AGAIN IM SORRY.
I WILL TRY AND UPLOAD MORE FREQUENTLY AND STAY ONTOP OF MY IDEAS!! 🦅🦅

The Change ; A Tachizaki FicOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara