4. Earning Your Stripes

Start from the beginning

"I understand, Chef. I'll ensure that the kitchen staff is at the top of their game. Every dish will be executed with precision and care." I say hoping to ease his stress, when it came to being in the restaurant, I refer to him as Chef like he asked and when it's out of the restaurant I refer to him as Michael. 

Michael's gaze hardened as he scanned the bustling kitchen, his eyes taking in every detail. 

"And the presentation," he continued speaking.

"Must be impeccable. Each plate must be a work of art, worthy of our esteemed guest's discerning palate. We are a five-star upcoming restaurant and although we have one more mind to change it should not change how we represent ourselves." Michael says and I could see his big focal point. 

"Consider it done, Chef. I'll personally oversee the plating of every dish to ensure that they meet your exact standards." I say trying to still ease his mind and allow myself to have more responsibility in the restaurant. 

"Good, I am hoping you can handle this. At least you can cook and have a good eye for detail." He says not sounding to convinced. 

"Thank you, Chef. I appreciate your trust in me now." I reply, maintaining a reassuring tone. 

"I understand the importance of consistency and precision in our dishes, and I'm committed to upholding the standards of excellence we strive for here. If there's anything specific, you'd like me to focus on or any adjustments you'd like to make, just let me know. I'm here to support you and the team in any way I can." I say hoping it didn't come off sounding flirty. 

With a nod of appreciation, Michael acknowledges my words. 

"Thank you, Chef. Your dedication and willingness to take on more responsibility are truly valued." he responds, his tone indicating his sincerity. 

"Let's focus on perfecting the timing and presentation of the dishes for tonight's service. We have a busy evening ahead, and I know we can execute flawlessly with your expertise onboard." He says shocking me with the compliment. 

As he begins to discuss the evening's menu and kitchen tasks, the conversation seamlessly shifts towards cooking, leaving any concerns about misinterpreted intentions behind.

I listen attentively as Michael outlines the evening's menu and assigns tasks to the kitchen staff. I nod in agreement, my focus fully on the culinary matters at hand. With a sense of determination, I mentally prepare myself to deliver nothing but the best in terms of taste, presentation, and service. The kitchen buzzes with activity as we collectively gear up for another successful evening of culinary excellence.

As the kitchen springs into action, I dive into my assigned tasks with precision and skill. I move swiftly, orchestrating the preparation of ingredients and coordinating with my fellow chefs. Despite the hustle and bustle, there's a sense of togetherness and a shared purpose among the team, fueled by our passion for creating exceptional dining experiences.

Throughout the evening, my focus remains unwavering, ensuring that each dish leaving the kitchen meets the exact standards set by Michael. With each satisfied patron and glowing review, the team's hard work and dedication are reaffirmed, further solidifying our reputation for culinary excellence. And as the night winds down, I can't help but feel a sense of pride in what we've accomplished together, knowing that we've once again delivered an unforgettable dining experience. 

Much different than when I worked in Texas, this felt more like a shared experience than just me nerding out in the kitchen by myself.

As the last orders are served and the kitchen begins to wind down, I take a moment to reflect on the evening's success. I exchange a few words of congratulation and gratitude with my colleagues before starting the clean-up process. With practiced efficiency, we work together to ensure that the kitchen is left spotless, ready for the next day's service.