sexual infection

When it comes to testing for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) or sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), healthcare professionals typically conduct specific tests based on individual risk factors, symptoms, and concerns. Here are some common tests that may be included in a sexual infection screening:

Blood Tests:

HIV Test: Detects the presence of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in the blood.

Syphilis Test: Detects antibodies or the syphilis bacterium in the blood.

Urine Tests:

Chlamydia Test: Screens for the presence of the bacteria Chlamydia trachomatis.

Gonorrhea Test: Screens for the presence of the bacteria Neisseria gonorrhoeae.

Swab Tests:

Genital Herpes Test: Swab samples from genital sores or lesions are tested to identify the herpes simplex virus (HSV).

Gonorrhea and Chlamydia Swab: Swabs may be taken from the genital, rectal, or throat areas to test for these infections.

Physical Examination:

In some cases, a visual examination of the genital area may be conducted to identify symptoms or signs of infection.

HPV Testing:

For individuals with a cervix, HPV testing may be performed during Pap smear screenings to detect high-risk strains of human papillomavirus (HPV), which can lead to cervical cancer.

Hepatitis Testing:

Hepatitis B and C Tests: Blood tests can detect the presence of hepatitis B or C viruses.

It's important to note that not all STIs have routine screening tests, and testing recommendations may vary based on factors such as sexual activity, age, and risk factors. Additionally, some infections may not cause noticeable symptoms, making regular testing important for early detection and treatment.