Chapter One | 1184 Words

A foul wind gusted through the tattered tops of bare winter trees, turning the naked branches until they appeared as haunting, finger-like appendages against the dim light of a full moon.

𓆟𓆟𓆟

-The Vigil-

"Per istam sanctan unctionem et suam piissimam misericordiam, indulgeat tibi Dominus quidquid per (visum, audtiotum, odorátum, gustum et locutiónem, tactum, gressum deliquisti)."

The Holy Father spoke in Latin to the votary, raising his hand in reverent humility as he made the sign of the Father, the Son and The Holy Spirit.

He looked toward the heavens and continued his oration in English for the benefit of those gathered.

"Through this holy anointing and His most pious mercy, may the Lord indulge you in whatever you have transgressed by sight, hearing, smell, taste and speech, touch and step."

Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May their souls and the souls of all the faithful ones departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen."

"Amen," the parishioners echoed in unison.

"Lord God, you are attentive to the voice of our pleading. Let us find, in your Son, comfort in our sadness, certainty in our doubt, and courage to live through this
hour. Make our faith strong through Christ our Lord, Amen."

With that final remark the itinerant Priest left the crude wooden podium at the front of the small chapel and made his way down the center isle. Since there was no body to prepare he chanted simple scriptures and one by one the mourners slowly followed him outside where the stark light of the moon cast it's shadows across a land of blood and of sorrow.

"Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be comforted. The Lord is near to the broken-hearted and saves the crushed in spirit."

With his lantern held out before him the Priest led the way off into the surrounding darkness and the grieving family followed, heads bowed, pressing against the sudden wind gusts they filed down a well worn path to a patch of ground where several graves marked the beginnings of a cemetery.

Loud wails filled the wind by those who could not hold their grief while others stood staunchly silent. Unflinching in the face of such horror.

Others could not understand the reasoning behind the loss of a dear sweet baby. What was happening here, in the New World?

Did they come all this way for heartache and pain? To be held hostage by an evil some of them had never seen?

Where were words of comfort from the Priest? He provided the Last Rites coldly unnatural. His words hollow to the ear. He led them to the family burial plot, made the sign of the cross and left.

Now, as they stood in the damp night air riddled with loss and with questions no one could answer while others refused to speak of it entirely Sadie Pennybacker placed a hand on her stomach. She was not yet showing but she had missed two normal cycles of her monthly menses.

She had not even mentioned it to Edward yet. After the deaths of five other baby girls in the settlement, the thought that she herself was now pregnant gave her great fear. Of course her mother in law would be ecstatic. She often talked of Edwards harsh beginnings and longed for the day he would have a child to carry his name.

Sadie's head dropped and she pulled the hood of the cloak she wore to ward off the chill night winds over her head to hide her distress.

Suddenly Edward was there wrapping an arm around her shoulders and bringing her into his warm embrace. "Darling," he whispered against her head. "Let us go home. This weather is no place for us to be standing about and I am chilled. You must think me an oaf," he murmured.

"Of course not Edward," Sadie reassured him. "I am fine. Wouldn't it be disrespectful to leave the Pickering's right now, in their bereavement?"

Edward smiled lovingly. His Sadie. She was always the first to think of others feelings. He nodded, though she didn't see the gesture. "Yes, of course it would be darling."

𓆟𓆟𓆟

A warm firelight flickered across the sitting room where Sadie and Edward now sat and sipped tea. As expected of them, they stayed until the Pickering's were finally convinced to leave the graveyard where their infant daughter would have been laid to rest if there had been a body. Her mock gravesite sat nestled nearby five other mock graves. All infants. All girls.

Whispers in the settlement had been growing increasingly louder about this terrible phenomenon plaguing the new settlement since its humble establishment. But that was all they were. Whispers. Suspicions.

It was all very unnerving to Sadie.

"Edward?"

"Yes my love?"

"Has your mother mentioned anything to you about the sudden increase of deaths?" She asked cautiously. "It all seems so strange," she mused aloud.

"Mother hasn't said anything to me dear. I shouldn't dwell upon it too awful much. You'll only upset yourself. These things happen," he sipped his cup of tea thoughtfully.

"Yes, you are probably right as always," Sadie commented softly. "But there are rumors that a curse has been placed on the settlement. By the Natives. Were you aware that our little village has been built on a sacred burial grounds?"

"Oh my Sadie, how you do go on about silly rumors and made up stories," he lightly chided her. "You know those tales are only meant to frighten more settlers from entering the settlements. Why would you allow such thoughts to consume your mind, love? It worries me that you could be so easily swayed to believe in tales of imaginary curses and stories from witch doctors. Why would you allow yourself to be fancied by such things?"

Sadie fell silent as he looked at her inquiringly. She bit her lip and he was astonished when tears welled up in her beautiful green eyes. "Oh dear," Edward stood and immediately went to Sadie coaxing her to stand up and taking her in his arms. She melted into his embrace and he held her head to his shoulder as she cried.

"There, there dear," he crooned into her ear. Edward put her away from himself gently and looked into her eyes. "Darling, I didn't mean to be so harsh. I'm sorry. Now please, tell me why you've become so upset. Has someone said something out of order to you?" Edward asked sincerely. "Because I'll not have it. If one of the girls has upset you with crazy tales---"

"No Edward," Sadie told him with a catch in her voice. "It's none of that," she breathed.

"Then what is it my love," Edward implored her carefully. He didn't want to upset her any more than he already had. She was such a gentle soul and he loved her more than life itself.

Sadie took a shuddering deep breath, looked up at her adoring husband and smiled timidly. "Edward, I am with, child."

1184 words