Ben leaned against the counter. He watched Samuel roll a toy truck across the floor aggravated at himself for disclosing the previous day's event. "Just thought the view would help."

An uncomfortable stillness filled the kitchen.

Finally, Janet spoke. "Did it?"

"I don't know." Ben noticed the uneasiness in the room wasn't leaving. They were well aware of how he felt about the place but doubted they were as shocked as he was that he had taken her. Hoping to change the subject, he asked, "Are we ready to eat?"

"Well, I'm getting her autograph," Grams smiled, lifting the mood. She moved her chair toward the wall to make room for Ben.

"How do you know Harper Wills, Grams?" Ben smiled as he sat next to her.

"Who doesn't? I've seen several of her movies and saw her win that Oscar last year. She's a beautiful girl and can sing like a canary. I used to listen to her grandfather, Wyatt. Now, he was a country music legend. And handsome, too" she grinned then asked Gloria. "What was the name of that song he sang that I loved so much?"

"Those Ole' Memories." Gloria sat at the head of the table. "Whatever happened to him?"

"I heard he drank himself to death," Grams shook her head, sadly. "Yes, that's the name of that song. I remember dancing to that with your grandfather just like it was yesterday." She patted Ben on the hand.

It wasn't long before the meal was finished. Gloria and Grams had gone to change while Ben and Janet cleaned the kitchen.

"When do you want to go to the lot?" Ben asked, drying off a plate and putting it in the cabinet. Over dinner, he had caught her glancing his way several times with a look that told him she wanted to ask about his day with Harper. Luckily, she had refrained. He knew it was coming though.

"Let's go soon so Eva can take her nap when we get back." Janet was nearly finished wiping off the table. Once it was clean, she walked to the sink. "Well?" she asked, drawing out the word. She cut Ben a sideways glance that he tried to avoid.

"What?" He pretended not to know what his sister was talking about.

"What's she like?" She handed him a plate from the dishwasher then got one for herself. They continued to dry the dishes while they talked.

"She's going through a hard time." He made a conscious effort not to sound like he was enthralled with her.

"Are you going to see her again?'

"I work with her."

She chuckled. "That's not what I mean."

A crease formed across his forehead. Being the little sister, she always knew how to push his buttons. "There's nothing going on."

"There wouldn't be anything wrong if there was."

"There's not!" He was a little harsher than he meant. A wave of guilt came over him and he was going to apologize until he saw Janet's expression. Her slight grin told him that she knew perfectly well how he felt.

Grams sighed as she walked into the kitchen. "I can't find it anywhere."

"What?" Janet asked.

"The Wyatt Wills record. I used to have it. I did find one of Harper's CDs though." Grams walked into the family room and put the CD in the stereo. A few seconds later Harper's voice blared throughout the house.

"Wow, that's loud," laughed Janet.

Ben shook his head amused. Leave it to Grams to lighten the mood.

~