Chapter 4 : The Uncertainty

"Say, Kudo," Shiho said after she got in the Kudo mansion and scanned the house. "You said that I lived here?"

Shinichi fidgeted a bit, "yeah. Sometimes you also went to Hakase's," it was the other way around, but a little lie wouldn't hurt.

Shiho didn't pay attention to his slight hesitant, as her eyes was still roaming around the house.

"And you said I was missing for 3 days, 4 days unconcious, and 2 weeks in hospital. That made it around 3 weeks in total?"

"Yeah," Shinichi answered again, confused on where the questions were leading.

This is the first time Shiho came home after being hospitalized for 3 weeks. During that time, Shinichi and Hakase took turn in accompanying her in hospital. Usually Shinichi came after finishing some cases. The polices were really grateful that he came back and helped them with whatever cases, especially when Conan had 'return to America'.

"So did you happen to raise a pig during that time?"

Oh, she was talking about the messy condition of the house. Clothes and papers shattered all over the floor, stairs, sofa table. Dishes piled up in the sink and pantry. The floor is dusty and sticky. Shinichi grinned innocently.

"I was not really good at cleaning,"

Shiho rolled her eyes. From her point of view, this place needed to be turned upside down and shaken. She might lost her memory but at least now she knew she could not stand mess and dirt.

Since she still used cast, she could not move freely. So she ordered Shinichi around to clean up the house. Washed the dishes, put away the laundry, vacuum the house. Meanwhile, Shiho checked the house one by one, pleased and amazed with the library, sighed at the nearly empty refrigerator and kitchen cupboard, content enough with the room where she would stay at, eventhough she raised her eyebrows at the nearly empty closet. Did she not have clothes?

By the end of the day, the house was in better condition, contradicted with Shinichi's body who was now aching all over.

"You're a sadist, woman," he muttered when he sank himself on sofa out of exhaustion.

Shiho ignored him. "Since you said you can eat proper food because of my cooking ability, that means you're no good in cooking also?" Shiho raised her eyebrows.

"Umm, yeah," Shinichi scratch his head.

"What's your use in living?" Shiho muttered.

Shinichi pouted. "If you're hungry, let's go to Hakase's and find something to eat".

They went to Hakase's. Everything seem normal, as if they were used to had dinner together like this. But something still didn't add up to Shiho. Did she, a mature woman, live with a man in the same age? Really, what were they? Eventhough the house is a mansion, and they stayed in separate rooms, but it still wasn't normal for a man and woman to live together under the same roof, was it?

Day by day passed and Shiho's doubt added up each time. They said they were always together, but both Shinichi and Hakase always felt the need to introduce her to people.

First she realized this when the polices that Shinichi worked with suddenly came to his house. Shinichi was in his study room, so Shiho went to open the door. They were surprised and asked her who she was, and Shinichi abruptly came down to introduce her as his partner. So if the police did not know, then she was not his partner in solving crimes?

And even the little kids that Shinichi said often went camping with them did not recognize her. One time they went to Hakase's and the kids were there. They greeted Shinichi but looked curiously at her before Hakase introduce her as Shinichi's partner. They accepted it and became all over her in no time, but it was still strange.

Shiho was the one who lost memories, not everyone's, so what's with the introduction? Shinichi only did not introduce her to some guys in the FBI and CIA. So what was this? The foreign organization knew her, but the locals did not? Where had she lived before this exactly?

And another weird things was her clothes. She really had limited clothes, to the point that she wore Shinichi's clothes more often than not. She did not really mind wearing Shinichi's clothes, but where was her clothes before the incident?

Shiho did not want to ask Shinichi's yet about this. She knew that Shinichi would come with lame excuses and changed the topic, like he always did when she asked more details about her past. She wanted to collect all the odd situations and build up her questions, and confronted them when the time came. She wanted to know, why it seem like Shiho never existed and the past that they told her was someone else's?

Shiho was also curious about her ability. She found that she was an excellent cook -- thankfully, considering Shinichi's zero skill in that part. She knew more or less about history and art. And when she tried testing herself, she found out she was fluent in English, and French, and German, and Chinese......and she could even speak a little Russian. How come and for what?

***