Hulkenberg held onto fourth in a mixed order, from Alex Albon in fifth and Lance Stroll in sixth. Pierre Gasly, Zhou Guanyu, Logan Sargeant – who experienced an issue in the second half of the session that seemed to cause his front tyre to lift off the ground through some corners – and Magnussen rounded out the top 10.

Alonso ended the hour in 11th, with Hamilton in 12th and the AlphaTauri pair of Tsunoda and Daniel Ricciardo in 13th and 14th. Ocon followed in 15th, ahead of Verstappen down in 16th. Both he and Perez – in 18th – only used the hard tyres during the session.

Valtteri Bottas placed in P17, while the McLaren pair of Norris and Oscar Piastri completed the order in P19 and P20.

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Qualifying

Max Verstappen has sealed pole position for the Sao Paulo Grand Prix, with the Red Bull driver coming out on top in a qualifying session that was red-flagged in the final stages due to rain.

The world champion had set provisional pole in the first runs of Q3, having put in a lap of 1m 10.727s. But with the weather rapidly changing as the clock ticked down, the session was brought to an early end, meaning that there was not the opportunity for drivers to improve on their only flying lap.

Charles Leclerc will join Verstappen on the front row, while Aston Martin benefitted from getting their drivers out on track early, with Lance Stroll and Fernando Alonso in P3 and P4 respectively.

The Mercedes duo of Lewis Hamilton and George Russell follow in fifth and sixth, and Lando Norris – who had looked impressively fast in Q2 – had to settle for seventh.

Carlos Sainz ended the session in P8, while Sergio Perez and Oscar Piastri round out the top 10.

Nico Hulkenberg was the lead Haas in 11th, with the Alpine pair of Esteban Ocon and Pierre Gasly following behind in 12th and 13th.

Kevin Magnussen ended the session in 14th and, despite his Williams showing good pace in Q1, Alex Albon couldn't reach the final segment of qualifying and will start from 15th.

There was a shock in Q1 when Daniel Ricciardo failed to get out of the elimination zone, marking a dramatic contrast from his P4 qualifying result at the Mexico City Grand Prix. The Australian will start in P17, with his AlphaTauri team mate Yuki Tsunoda one place ahead in P16.

It was also a difficult session for Alfa Romeo. Valtteri Bottas and Zhou Guanyu ended up in P18 and P20 respectively, with Logan Sargeant in-between them in P19.

 Valtteri Bottas and  Zhou Guanyu ended up in P18 and P20 respectively, with Logan Sargeant  in-between them in P19

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.