[ 003 ] life of the party

━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━

━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━

    THE VICTORY TOUR of the star-crossed lovers from 12 came and went. Jupiter had not attended and only watched the news of it because her mother had asked her to and Mars had been hovering over her shoulder waiting for a reason to yell at her. She had hugged her knees to her chest and watched with lifeless eyes, listening to the falsified speeches and Katniss' cracked voice and dark eyes.

    Cassia gasped and softened her gaze at all the right moments, clutching at the blanket she strung over herself at night when she stayed glued there and Juptier and Mars would retire as it got dark and tiredness wearied them. Jupiter worried for her mother sometimes, but a bigger part of her wished she had done more for them over the years.

    It was when the Victory Tour came to an end that Jupiter grew tense, waiting for her invitation to come in the mail. It was the first time she had read her letters since Mars had berated her for it– shuffling through the same cursive-typed pages that thanked her for her participation and donation, asking her to get in contact about returning, everything Jupiter dreaded.

    She wondered who had asked for her. The Council did not like her or her methods, why would they want her in a position of teaching future tributes or able to make decisions and suggest courses of action? Had someone finally just figured it was worth inviting Saturnus Marrow's daughter for appearances?

    Finally, on the final day of the tour, Jupiter found the Capitol-originating letter and almost kissed it. Her entourage of stylists and her escort were to arrive early the next day before spending the entirety of their day on the train to the Capitol, all expenses covered by a lavish hotel and decor.

    It was the one time Mars could not touch her.

    When her District's escort, Aurelia, and her stylist Lux arrived the day of the Capitol's Victory party, they flourished into her house and greeted her so affectionately she almost welcomed it. Mars would try and talk them up, as he always did, but they were completely uninterested and devoted their attention and praise to her.

    Aurelia was older than when Jupiter had first met her during her games, but it had been so long she almost considered them friends despite their obvious differences. Lux, meanwhile, was a pointed woman with her hair dyed dark blue for the winter, wearing striking white lashes and lipstick.

    And then Jupiter was packing her bags, going over the outfits and itinerary for her journey, letting herself be styled simply for the trip, and then she was out the door and leaving the cold of her house behind.

    It was not unusual in the Victor's Village to see someone leaving with their escort, bags packed. But it was unusual for the Victor to look lighter at the prospect of heading into the heart of Panem.

    The Capitol loved her. They celebrated her at the parties she attended and bathed her in praise and recognition. She presented herself graciously and kindly, because she liked the attention. As she checked into the hotel, she was welcomed back warmly. As she watched the news in her hotel room as Lux pulled at her hair, Caesar Flickerman included her in the list of esteemed guests and people looked lovingly up at the announcement.