Chapter 5: Sans Y Penser

Start from the beginning

"It's 3pm. Your sailing back to England is in less than an hour. You should go. You two leave without me," you demure.

"NO!" they both exclaim in almost comic sibling unison.

"I'll be fine, seriously."

"I'm not leaving you alone here for god knows how long until there is room on a ship to America. You can't be alone. This isn't Paris; this is a port city. It's definitely not safe," Eloise rattles off, looking at you imploringly.

"She's right," Benedict concurs. "You were safe in Paris together before the war. You are not safe here. A beautiful young woman. You are a target for thieves or even worse. You cannot stay here alone."

You try your hardest not to let Benedict calling you beautiful derail your whole thought train, but it's futile. Your mind is scattered like a pile of wooden toy railway coaches.

"I... I could return to Paris?" You finally suggest after what feels like an eternity of buffering. "I could call to check for last-minute availability every morning. It's only a couple of hours by train. I'll be always packed and ready to go..." you argue, not as yet realising the naivety behind your own idea.

"Paris will be the first target for Hitler's invasion," Benedict says gravely. "It could be much worse to remain there..."

"So what am I to do? I'm damned if I do, and I'm damned if I don't..."

"There is only one solution, and that is for us to remain here as well until you can secure passage out of the country," Benedict shrugs.

"Agreed," Eloise nods emphatically as you go to protest.

"There are many more sailings back to England, and tickets are easier to come by," Benedict points out. "We can move our tickets up. At least by a few days until we can devise a plan."

"Wait... if there are no ships to America, why don't you come to England with us?" Eloise pipes up in a lightbulb moment.

"I have nowhere I could stay..."

"Nonsense! You will stay with us at Aubrey Hall. Won't she, Benedict?"

"Oh yes, of course. There are plenty of spare rooms," he assures.

"Gosh, umm... Maybe? I..." you hesitate. The whiplash of the last few minutes and the generosity of their offer momentarily overwhelm you. "That's very generous of you. The problem is I don't know for how long it would be, or even if I should. My parents only agreed to me living in Paris under the watchful eye of Solene. This... this is entirely other..."

You startle as Benedict places his hands on your shoulders, pulling your attention to his sincere expression. "Y/n, you need to worry less about what your family thinks and more about yourself - what you need and your safety. This is escaping impending war; it's a completely different circumstance from how you arrived here. The decisions you make right now have to be selfish and unburdened by expectations. It's easy for others to judge from the distance of safety. But look around you. This town is teeming with people clambering to leave the country before an invasion. We do what we have to in unpredictable circumstances to survive."

"You sound like a soldier," you murmur.

"It's what my father was," he replies, releasing his grip but not moving away. "As a very young man in The Great War. He was lucky to survive, being an officer away from the front lines, but he taught me many things before he died. And one was about always making the smart choice if you can see one, even if it feels uncomfortable. The smart choice here is to escape by any means necessary. We all know Hitler has his sights set on France, especially Paris, as the figurative and cultural capital of Europe. You must get out. You must come with us." You are captivated by his hazy eyes as he speaks, your heart beating fast as his face and voice grow softer. "Please. I could not live with myself if we left you behind," he admits in a much quieter tone, but the plea is no less impassioned.