07 | devoted, deceived

Start from the beginning

"Maybe I was wrong," Kyra muttered, not entirely sure Medea even heard her amongst her passion. 

But Kyra knew she was not wrong. Coriolanus had taken initiative. With her. Trapping her in the common room, flirting so openly, teasing her; all to try and get her to admit she felt something between them. He hadn't asked out Medea, because he had been too preoccupied trying to seduce the redhead's closest friend.

Perhaps it had been a bad idea to let Medea bring up the topic of Snow. Before, Kyra had simply felt frustrated and confused. Now, she felt like a traitor.

"Like, I know he's probably been super busy with preparing for the exams and your assignment and whatever, but I want someone who's going to make time for me, you know?" Medea continued on, pausing her obsessive frustration search as her eyes landed on a golden gown.

"Then, maybe he's not right for you!" Kyra jumped in a second too quick and far too eager considering how distant she had been all day. Medea shot her a surprised look, one that turned perplexed, as if trying to piece something together. Kyra held her breath as she waited for her friend to inevitably figure out the source of her eagerness.

"No, I don't think so. I know you despise him and think I could do better, but I promise, one day I'll get you to see him the way I do." Medea replied and turned back to the dress, wearing her usual bubbly expression. Kyra released a quiet sigh of relief, one that went completely unnoticed as her oblivious friend held the golden dress up to her frame and admired herself in the mirror.

"Well, not exactly the same." Medea joked, giving Kyra a wink in the mirror, prompting an uncomfortable laugh from her.

"I think that's the dress. It's eye-catching, it's expensive, it flatters you perfectly. Try it on." Kyra diverted the conversation away eagerly, even if the flashy dress truly did suit her friend. 

"You think so?" Medea squealed as she hurried with the dress to the nearby changing room. Kyra waited outside, the rustling of Medea getting changed filling the silence as Kyra glanced through dresses, letting the different textures ground her from the temporary panic that had rose. 

"You know, as much as I'd like him to ask me, it's okay if he doesn't. I know he's got loads of priorities and, like you said, he'll probably like my confidence if I ask him out, right?" Medea called out from the changing room, prompting a quiet curse from Kyra as she silently prayed for Medea to drop it.

"Right." Kyra agreed weakly.

"And if I'm going to be future first lady of Panem, I'll need to get used to him being so busy!" Medea laughed.

"Right." Kyra repeated weaker.

"But, just to make sure I don't make a fool of myself, you haven't noticed him spend a lot of time or even just talk to any other girls, right?"

"Why would I notice something like that? I don't care about which girls he talks to." Kyra fired back, a tad more defensive than she had intended to. But why would Medea ask her something like that if she knew Kyra hated Snow? Unless the redhead was trying to allude to how much time Kyra had spent with Snow?

But that was just for the assignment. Nothing else. Aside from last night in the common room.

"You said you'd keep an eye out for me?" Medea reminded as she stepped out of the changing room, looking more beautiful than ever, as the gold framed her curves perfectly. Even Coriolanus wouldn't be able to deny Medea's beauty in that dress, towering over Kyra as nothing short of a goddess.