Chapter Twelve: Classes and Curses

After breakfast, and once I'd concluded my first-year tour and dropped them off at their first classes, I headed to my own class.

On today's schedule was Potions and Defense Against the Dark Arts with the Gryffindors, Charms with the Ravenclaws, and of course, Care of Magical Creatures with the Slytherins. 

I walked into Potions class early, as I often did, sitting down at my station, which I shared with Fred, George, and Zacharias Smith, another Hufflepuff that I only knew vaguely. 

I sat down beside George, pulling my hair up into a ponytail in preparation for class. 

"You missed a spot." He said, gently pulling a large chunk of hair out of my grasp. I slapped his arm with the back of my hand, pulling it back again. "How'd the firsties like their tour?" 

"Ugh, they loved it!" I exclaimed, securing my hair and turning to face him, "Oh my gosh, they were so excited, and they had so many fascinating questions. I think they left actually feeling confident for the day ahead." 

George smiled, leaning his chin in his hand. 

"You're adorable when you're passionate." He said.

"Shut up." I said, covering his face with my hand and shoving him away from me. "What is this big project you just had to message me about?" 

"You loved the Nondescript Note, don't act like you didn't," He said, "I'll let Freddie explain, he's the mastermind behind this one." 

"You called?" Fred asked, leaning down between us and putting a hand on each of our shoulders. I shook my head, turning to look at him and crossing my legs. 

"What's your big plan Freddie?" I asked, smirking at him. 

"We are going to make an aging potion." He said. My smile fell.

"No you're not." I said seriously. 

"We are." George said as Fred moved across the table to sit down on his still. "Its how we're going to get past the age line and put our names in the goblet." 

"And?" I asked. "Not only will it not work, even if you do get chosen, everyone is going to know that you cheated." 

"We turn Seventeen in April," Fred argued, "We're only a few months behind the cut-off, and who wouldn't love having one of us as the Hogwarts champion?" 

"Your mother, maybe?" I suggested. "Who is expecting an in-depth report of your financial and academic progress by the end of the year? Shouldn't you be focusing on that?" 

"We are focusing on that," George argued, "There's a 1,000 Galleon prize and to be honest...we kind of need the money." 

I furrowed my eyebrows. 

"Why?" I asked suspiciously. Fred and George shared a look before averting their eyes to their desk. "What happened to the money you got from Ludo? The bet from the cup?" 

They didn't answer for a long moment. 

"Fred and George Weasley, what happened to your money?" I insisted. 

"Ludo Bagman paid us in Leprechaun gold." George admitted, looking up at me. "It disappeared. We've been writing him since the cup, but he hasn't answered, so...we're broke." 

My eyes widened. 

"Why didn't you say anything?" I asked. 

"Because we can handle it," Fred told me, "Especially if we win the Triwizard Tournament, which we can't do unless we enter, which we can't do unless we make this aging potion, which is why we need your help."