𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧.

Start from the beginning

"Keep me out of the spotlight." Lucy demanded, her face serious. Maisie looked to Lockwood, trying to see how his brain was ticking. Knowing he wouldn't keep his promise to Lucy, she only hoped he would. 

The archives were a calming place, as the four entered, the hushed whispers of turning pages and the soft rustle of paper greet Maisie like an old friend, wrapping her in a cocoon of quiet contemplation. Her eyes found the sunlight filtering through the tall windows, casting a gentle glow on rows of books that stand like silent sentinels, waiting to reveal their secrets to those who seek them. She always loved coming here with George, on their researching missions, perhaps it was the knowledge that surrounds them and the kindred spirits who share their love of history and appreciation for the written word. 

They found their way to a secluded table, getting straight into their investigating. Maisie's eyes wandered over the page, taking in every word, her fingers tapping a gentle rhythm on the table, mindlessly making a quiet beat. 

"Maisie," Lockwood whispered, her eyes found his, she watched as his hand reached out to stop her fingers from moving, "You're doing it again." 

After a second of searching fro what he meant, she knew it was her finger drums. "Oh, sorry," she softly whispered back, removing her hand from under his and flipping the page, much to Lockwood's dismay. Only for her to look up after realising George and Lucy were talking, zoning into their conversation. 

"Hugo Blake," Lockwood spoke, reading the relationship allegations between Hugo Blake and Annabel Ward. Maisie made her way to behind the boy, her eyes scanning the black and white article.

"Nice one, Lockwood." George light heartedly praised, Lockwood's signature smile coming into view. Maisie's eyes found the photo of Annabel and co, noticing her ring.

"She's wearing the ring," she stated, bending over Lockwood to point at the photo. His breath hitched in his throat as he noticed the closeness of the girl he admired. Before she moved back, the quiet conversation between the four continuing until they were abruptly interrupted.

"Well done, Tony," Quill Kipps' smug voice swerved in the air, his team and himself walking towards Lockwood & Co.

"Hmm. Is it Tony? Or Andrew?" The girl beside him talked, Maisie didn't know her name, but she took notice of how beautiful she was. 

"This is a library, not a bragging ground for bellends." George smugly snapped back. Which Kipps followed with a snide remark towards Lucy, who simply rolling her eyes. 

Then, Kipps eyes found Maisie, standing behind George, his lips parting before speaking. "Well isn't it Maisie Peters, the famous singer, or as famous as you can get singing at a boring old pub," he spoke, eager to get a reaction out of the girl. Her face soured hearing the name bashing her beloved second home. 

"At least people want to come see me, I doubt anyone would come to hear you sing, they might have to pay for earplugs at the door." She snapped back, arms coming to cross against her stomach. 

"Well, truth be told I did like one of your songs, what was it called again? Amelie?" His voice just reached her ears and upon hearing her name her whole facade broke, shoulders slumped and her face went numb. Lockwood had instantly pulled out his rapier upon hearing the name, knowing all too well what that name meant to his girl. 

Kipps was fast to pull out his own rapier, clashing with Lockwood's as the stood tall. "Don't speak to her, don't even look at her, instead go find yourself a ladder," Lockwood spoke, his defensive tone making Maisie flustered, he was defending her

"What? I don't need a ladder." Kipps spoke, confusing lacing his voice.

"You sure?" Lockwood remarked, then with a flick of his rapier, making the tip of Kipps rapier fly into the roof.