Chapter 18 - Confliction

Start from the beginning

     "I heard what happened to your mother."

     I felt my chest whither at the mention of her. I still held grief for her lost presence. But I cannot fall to my hands and knees yet. Not until that doctor fell to the earth in the goddess's embrace. Before I could say anything, Rose spoke up.

     "Way to jinx it! Metal Sonic has been spotted in the city!"

     Whisp rushed to Rose's side, looking at the screen. "Is it another fake?"

     "Why would they bother making a fake out of something that already isn't real? Couldn't they just build more?" The blue 'hero' commented with a yawn.

     I felt my eye twitch at his questions. Yes, they are reasonable questions. But the way he is saying them sounded foolish. I took another breath before continuing to listen. Sonic shrugged his shoulders, arching his back. "Either way, it's getting wrecked! Let's go, partner!"

     He jogged up to Gadget and hooked his arm with the wolf's, walking out of the room. I snatched the blue fool before he could leave and looked toward the red rodent. "Excuse me, Echidna. If I may, I decline the requested help of Gadget for the reckless blue fool." I pulled Gadget away from the fool and hid him behind me.

     The said fool gasped dramatically. "Me? Reckless? C'mon! I'm not that stupid to get anyone hurt!" He crossed his arms with confidence.

     I grabbed the fool's neck and pulled him in. "Listen, Hero. You might have everyone under your care because the world is at risk of danger from the doctor. You have been gone and stuck in a cell for 6 months. You are stuck in the past. I am present. I worry for my people and I worry for the pup. He is exhausted from the encounter of the jackal. Our enemy was powerful enough to defeat you at first glance. I was able to stand my ground. I was able to stand for my people for those months while you did nothing but let the doctor do cruel things to you."

     I pulled him closer, my gift glowing upon my skin and fur. "If you are entitled to be a hero to your people, I want you to care for the people who are hurt and need to rest. If you are reckless enough for that red mole to have me bring the newest member of the resistance to watch over your childish ass, you are no hero. You are a child. You care for the people who are hurt in battle."

     I let go of him. He fell to the floor and looked up at me with concern. I kneeled to him, remaining in eye contact as he shook ever so slightly from the naked eye. "If you call yourself a hero," I pulled on his leg to get closer to me. He yelped as I held him in place. I leaned closer to him, his eyes trying to look for something else but they could not escape my gaze. "Act like it."

     I let him go and stood up. I looked toward the mole to see his mouth agape. "Do I make myself clear?"

     Everyone remained silent. My ear twitched to the sound of someone clearing their throat. I turned around to see Gadget with his hand up, asking for permission to speak. "Yes, Pup?"

     "I... I don't mind helping Mr. Sonic fight Metal Sonic," he answered with a nervous smile. My eyes widened in worry. What is he planning on doing? What is he going to do? I walked up to him and placed my hands on his shoulders. "Are you certain? I do not want you to do anything you do not wish to do. I want you safe and resting. You have done a lot since I met you. You need some rest. Let your wounds and bumps heal for a few hours."

     He nodded in agreement. "I know. But I still have some fight left in me. I want to help. If it prevents from Dr. Eggman from controlling our home, I'm willing to help until I can't stand."

     My grip tightened on his shoulders. I took in a breath before letting myself relax and release him from my grasp. I smile at him proudly. I cupped his cheek before kissing his forehead. "Please be careful. And do not let the blue fool do anything ridiculous."