Chapter 23: Running From The Mess You Made

Start from the beginning

"You've said it to me and I've only known you like a couple months longer." Lauren furrowed her brows.

"Yeah, but that's different. With you, it's like an "I love you like a sister" kind of way. With Maggie, it's... not." Glenn sighed. "Look, I'm an idiot, alright? I know. She said it to me but I... I didn't know what to do with it, so I just stood there like a jerk."

"Hey. Hey," Rick jumped in before Lauren had the chance to tell Glenn how stupid he was again. He laughed a little as he spoke, trying to ease the tension. "this is a good thing, something we don't get enough of these days. Enjoy it. And when we get back, return the favor. It's not like she's going anywhere."

It was quiet for a few minutes after that, the air felt lighter than it did at the start. They were pulling into town when Glenn spoke again.

"Rick..." He started. He sounded nervous, which in turn made Lauren nervous. What was he about to say? "I know about Lori being pregnant. I got her those pills."

Lauren felt her stomach drop at his admission.

"I figured," Rick said quietly. Lauren's gut twisted when she saw Rick's eyes shift to her in the rearview mirror. There was no use hiding it, he knew.

"I didn't know about the pills." She looked away, guilt eating her up inside."But I did know about the pregnancy... I'm sorry, Rick."

"We shouldn't have kept it from you," Glenn added.

Rick sucked in a breath as he pulled into a vacant parking lot beside the bar. "Don't be. You did what you thought was right... It just so happens it wasn't."

Rick stopped the car and they all hopped out. Glenn held a shotgun in his hands while Lauren and Rick kept a tight grip on their handguns.

Lauren eyed the old saloon. The wooden sign hanging out front was splintering and the brick exterior was scuffed and worn down. Things that had probably made the place quaint and charming before now gave it an eerie feel.

"So what exactly is the plan here? We just go in, talk to him, and hope he comes back with us?" She questioned as they approached the bar.

Rick nodded. "That's the general idea."

"And what happens if he won't?" She pressed.

Rick hesitated, thinking to himself as they made their way up the steps.

"Let's cross that bridge when we get to it." He muttered.

The door to the pub creaked open, letting in a sliver of light. It was just enough to illuminate the silhouette of the man they were looking for. He sat at the bar, his back towards them, hunched over one of what one could only assume was a number of drinks. Rick stepped inside the building, Lauren following suit with Glenn. The door clicked shut behind them and they were left in the dimly lit bar.

"Hershel." Rick's voice rang out in the small room.

"Who's with you?" The old man didn't even bother turning around.

"Lauren." Rick took a few steps in Hershel's direction. "And Glenn."

"Maggie sent him?"

"He volunteered," Lauren told him, sparing a glance at her friend. "He's good like that."

The three of them slowly made their way across the bar until they reached Hershel, who still hadn't turned around. Glenn stayed back a bit, standing guard with a shotgun tucked under his arm. Lauren stayed behind as well, not as far as Glenn, but enough to give Rick and Hershel a bit of space.

"How many have you had?" Rick leaned his arm on the counter, speaking quietly.

Hershel let out a dry chuckle. "Not enough."