5. The choice

Avni's POV

I looked at his face , trying to read his expression but I couldn't , his face was covered with dense breard and his long curly hairs were ruffling due to the cold evening breez. His body was wrapped in a dusty white dhoti and angvatra. The angvatra was carefully covering his upper body as if he was trying to hide something but his hands were free. I shifted my gaze towards my father , he was having discussion with mahamantri and Raj Guru. Well somehow I knew what they were going to say. The whole areana was filled with tension. Maa was constantly pating my hand. My eyes travelled the entire areana. The kings and princes were waiting for my decision but whom I should choose? The elder prince of khayati ? Whose lustful gaze was making me feel sick to my guts. King Aniket? Who was here just for the kingdom . Almost every prince or King present here , had some other motive. No one here was for me , the real me , some were here for the kingdom and some were here for my body or the title of marrying the most beautiful princess of Aryavart. All of them wanted me as their wife but no one wanted to become my husband. And here, this brahman created a turmoil , I felt dizzy with all those thoughts. I looked at the brahman and closed my eyes , my words of that brahman was echoing in my ears. Maheshwar help me , was the only sentence my mind was chanting and why this bhikshuk was here ? Why he wanted to marry me ? How the thought of marrying me came into his mind ? What was his motive? How was he related to Rishi keerticharya? Where did a bhikshuk get so much courage from ?
Hey Maheshwar! I opened my eyes only to look at the bhikshuk whose sight was fixed towards my father , I observed me more carefully, his posture , his slight movements , and suddenly my eyes caught the sight of his neck, all thanks to the evening breeze which ruffled his hair away. I tried to get a clearer view of his neck and as if Maheshwar heard me, a gust of wind brushed his hair away and gave me a clear view of his neck , and then the trust struck me like lightning.  Maheshwar heard my prayers.
********************
After having a discussion with his ministers and guru , king Subodh looked towards his daughter. The lines of worry were clearly visible on his forehead. He slightly lifted his brows as if he was asking her something. His facial muscles relaxed a bit as soon as he received a gentle nod from his daughter. Taking a deep breath he began " Brahman ! Apne guru var or mantri mandal se charcha krne ke pashchat hamne ye nirnay liya hai ki hum tumhe is swayambara me bhaag lene ki anumati dete hain."
( Brahman! After having a discussion with my guru and ministers , I allow you to participate in the swayambara.)

A murmure spread across the arena. Everyone was bewildered by the king's decision. The history had never witnessed such an incident. A poor bhikshuk would be participating in the swayambara of a princess.

"Maharaj Subodh ye kaisa nirnay liya hai aapne ? Ye hamara apmaan hai. Ab kya ham rajkumaron ke sath ek bhikshuk khada hoga ?"
( Maharaj Subodh, what kind of decision have you taken ? This is our insult. Now a beggar would compete with the prince?)
Abhijeet 's venomous voice echoed in the arena, while other kings and princes were supporting him. King Subodh and his ministers tried to calm them down.
The prime minister rushed towards the kings and princes. " Shant ho jaiye aap sab kripya kar." He pleaded them to calm down.
" Yuvraj Abhijeet ! Shant ho jaiye , tanik sochiye to ek bhikshuk or aapki tulna nhi ho sakti. Ye bhi to sochiye ki Rajkumari ek bhikshuk to apne var k roop me thodi chunengi. Wo to Rishi keerticharya ke upkaar hai Maharaj pr isiliye us bhikshuk to swayambara me bhaag lene de rhe hain. Kripya samjhne ka prayas kijiye."
( Yuvraj Abhijeet! Calm down, think a little. You and that poor Brahmin can't be compared. Rajkumari won't choose a bhikshuk as her husband. Due to Rishi keerticharya's favor on Maharaj , we are allowing him to participate. Please try to understand.)
Abhijeet found Mahamantri's words logical. After all he was the Yuvraj of khayati , he had everything, he was soon to be king of Khyati, he had good looks , riches , and luxuries, surely the princess would choose him , that poor Brahmin was nowhere in competition. A sly smile appeared on his face as he eyed Avni with his lustful gazes. He again settled himself on his seat and slowly the other princes and kings too settled down.

"Brahman , jao ja kar wahan khade jao."
( Brahman, go and stand there.)
The Mahamantri instructed the bhikshuk while pointing his index finger towards the end of the arena.
Avni slightly shook her head as it was inappropriate, he too was a participant in the swayambara, he should be sitting there, where other kings and princes were seated. But she chose to say nothing as this was not the correct time.

" Ab mai Rajkumari Avni se anurodh karunga ki wo yahan aaye or apna nirnay den. "
( Now I would request Princess Avni to come here and choose a participant as her husband.)
Mahamantri announced.

Avni took a deep breath and looked towards her mother. She stood up from her seat and approached her father. The Queen securely held her hand while king subodh creased Avni's head. " Putri, aapka jo niranay hoga hame Manya hoga. Aapke pita sadaiv aapke sath hain."
( Avni, I will respect whatever decision you make. Your father is always there for you.") The king spoke. Avni hugged her father. Then she looked towards her guru, who was smiling at her. " Hame aap pr or aapke buddhi pr Purna vishwas hai Rajkumari. Or aapke mukh pr atmavishwas se bhari ye muskan bata rhi hai ki aapne apna chayan kr liya or ye chayan swathah hi sahi hai. "
( Princess I trust you and your wisdom. And the confident smile on your face is telling that you have already made a choice and this choice is surely correct.)

Avni looked at her guru a little confused but Rajguru's gentle nod confirmed that he thought was not different from her's.
Avni touched her parents and guru's feet and headed towards the arena accompanied by female attendees. She was holding a garland of lotus and roses in her hand. The jaymala .There was a pin drop silence in the arena. Her altah coloured feet were proceeding towards the center of the arena while the tinkling sounds of her anklets echoed there. Her head was held high and her lips were curved in a slight smile. All the kings and princes there stood straight, silently wishing that she would choose them.
Avni spared a little glance towards Abhijeet who was staring at her but the haughty expression of his face vanished as soon as Avni crossed him. She didn't choose him. The anger rushed in his veins.

Avni's altah coated feet reached towards the end of the arena. Her night coloured eyes met his molten coppery ones. Avni looked straight into his eyes as if reading something . She then slightly lowered her lashes , took a step forward and then she garlanded him. Everyone in the arena was astonished. Why did the most beautiful princess of Aryavart choose a bhikshuk as her husband?
**************
Word count - 1254

Yeh Raha new update. Apni author pr thodi daya to dikhao , exams hai mere fir bhi update kr rhi . Or inse ittu sa vote or comment bhi nhi hota. Ye to galat baat h n.
Chalo jaldi jaldi vote or comment kr do.
Har har Mahadev 🙏🏻