She looked at her back, just the bejewelled tassels holding everything together at the top, her back bare, and a thin strap of gold, hardly visible, making up the bottom of the blouse. She had to admit, she looked good. 

Glancing at the time, she hurried to put on her makeup and fix up her hair, Farjaad would be here any second and she was in no mood to be nagged about how late she was making him. 

He tapped the room key and walked into the room almost like he owned it, extremely comfortable, not looking up from his phone, this was routine. He only called out, "Umeed?" making sure she was there, settling on the couch when he heard her "Haan," not glancing up to look at her, entirely engrossed in reading the article he had found about the importance of ice baths. 

Umeed was struggling to put on the earrings she had picked out, she had had no time to glance at Farjaad, she knew if she didn't hurry up, he would start rambling and it almost seemed like she manifested it because the next second she heard, "Jaldi ready ho yaar, humein nikalna hai." She had learnt to tune out his little orders, they didn't have much of an effect on her anymore. She was well aware he wouldn't be budging till she said so anyway. 

Right as she was about to clasp the other earring shut, it fell right out, hitting the wooden floor, she let out a tiny scream, today was so not her day. "Kya hua? Are you okay—" Farjaad's eyes finally moved from his phone, upwards, to the other corner of the room where Umeed was getting ready. His lips parted in awe, her back was facing him, the rest of her was draped in a cool-toned gold silk, she was staring at the earring on the floor, probably wishing it would levitate itself back to her, not wanted to move around too much in the tedious outfit she had picked out for herself. 

He hadn't even been aware enough to will his legs to move towards her but in a second, he was there, picking up the earring, looking at her through the mirror. Umeed looked at him, taking him in for the first time since he had come. His chest peeked out at her through his black shirt, a black blazer, perfectly tailored resting over his shoulders, she could see why black was his favourite colour. 

In that moment, it seemed to be hers too. 

She noticed his gaze, drifting from her eyes, scanning her from top to bottom, lingering at her exposed back, his tongue gliding across his lower lip, doing that thing she despised because it made her weak in the knees and she could feel the heat creep up her neck. He gently brought his fingers closer, tracing her neck, caressing her earlobe, putting the earring in place with ease. 

"Iske peeche ka?" Farjaad inquired, still staring at her through the mirror, his voice a little too close, his breath fanning her neck. 

She gulped, a little nervous because of the way he was looking at her, "Backless blouse banwaya tha, thought it would look nice..." she mumbled. 

His lips broke into a smile, she could see he was trying not to laugh, "Umeed, earring ke peeche ka piece maang raha hoon." She felt herself turn scarlet, flustered, quickly handing him the back of her earring and he clasped it shut. 

"Mujhe aise na dekhein, main nervous horahi hoon," she looked at the mess on the dresser in front of her, anywhere to avoid his eyes. "Aap nervous bhi hoti hain?" He couldn't look away. She looked stunning, the red lipstick on her was doing things to him, making his heart want to beat out of his chest, "Farjaad, humein deir nahi horahi thi?" She spoke, assertive, trying to make a point. 

His hands laced around her waist, he nuzzled his face into her neck, his stubble grazing her exposed back. She shivered in response to his cold hands making contact with her skin, "Waise, itni bhi deir nahi horahi hai..." 

She couldn't help but roll her eyes at him, always so predictable, "Farjaaaad," she whined, "Shut up." 

He gently rubbed his thumb against her back, right below the narrow strap of her blouse, "Soch lo ek dafa, thorha sa fashionably late hojayenge." Umeed averted her eyes from him again, the way he was biting his lip, the way his eyes would not leave her, his gaze so intense, made her feel shy, almost vulnerable.