Awake In A New World

This first chapter will take place a day after Dante arrives on Remnant.

The young man can't see.

He is aware that he is in a hospital of some kind. The uncomfortable firmness of an infirmary bed is a feeling all too familiar to him. But he can't see anything. The world is only grey. This was nothing new for him. The world was always grey when he disconnected from his Jaeger-

My Jaeger. Where is my Jaeger?!

The young man-'Dante. My name is DANTE!'-all but leaps from his hospital bed, and he is barely aware of the muffled voices of what are undoubtedly hospital staff urgently requesting for Dante to lie back down. He scrunches his eyes closed and reopens them, and then the grey was suddenly replaced by a momentarily blinding light, before his eyes finally adjusted.

Anyone who was watching saw a tall, muscular young man beginning to rampage through the hallways, dragging along almost a dozen security staff trying desperately to hold him back. As he did this, Dante could only repeatedly mutter the same words over and over. The words were a name: "Gypsy... Danger... Gypsy... Danger..."

When he finally made it outside, he was almost overwhelmed by the sight of a world entirely alien to him. The trees and grass looked similar to Earth, but it was off. Even the sound of the wind in his ears felt... unfamiliar.

"Wha-.... W-Where.... Where am I....-OOF!" He's violently yanked from his thoughts as he's immediately tackled to the ground and injected with a serum that makes the world fade to black.

And when he awoke again, he found himself in what was undeniably an interrogation room. Looking down, he was no longer in a hospital gown, but instead a simple long-sleeve shirt and black jeans.

"Ah, good, you're awake." A curt voice stated. Dante turned his attention to a woman entering the room. She had short, neat-cut black hair and wore a most likely military uniform over her physique, a perfect blend of curves and disciplined muscle.

"My name is General Jennifer Ironwood. I am the headmistress of Atlas Academy, and I have some questions for you."

"Where is my Jaeger?" Dante wasn't interested in this general's questions. All that mattered to him was where Gypsy Danger was. When he tried to stand up, his attention was brought to the handcuffs which held his wrists to the table he was sat at. His attention then went to the white haired woman standing in the corner, he narrowed eyes focusing on Dante with laser-precision. She was a soldier, like him. Intriguing. Her palm rested on the handle of the curved sword held on her belt at her waist. She was assessing how much of a threat he was.

"Ah yes, your mech. We'll get to that in due time. But first you will answer our questions."

"'Our' questions?" Dante's inquiry was answered as another woman, clad in a green shirt, pants and vest, with shoulder length silver hair, entered the room and stood next to Ironwood.

"Good evening, my name is Olivia Ozpin. A pleasure to meet you. Might I ask you your name?"

Dante was apprehensive, but ultimately decided that telling these people his name couldn't hurt.

".... Dante Preston."

"Tell us Dante, how did you come to arrive here?"

"I was in the hospital. I tried to leave. And then I was knocked out and brought here."

"She meant how you came to our world." The white haired woman clarified, more than slightly annoyed by his sarcasm.

"I honestly couldn't tell you. I was on patrol, investigating an anomaly detected 50 miles off the coast. I remember this bright flash of blue light. I remember falling.... Then nothing."

"You don't remember crash-landing in the middle of the forest? It's a miracle you even survived."

"And why am I cuffed?"

"You were tossing around hospital security staff left and right."

"They started it."

"How so?" The white haired woman- 'Winter. Her ID says "Winter"' humored him.

"They tried to keep somewhere I didn't want to be." He answered with a crooked smile.

".... *sigh*" Jennifer sighed, Dante's personality, his dry humor was what many would describe as an "acquired taste".

"You called that machine a "Jaeger". It's an.... Interesting name, to say the least. And it sounds like a language I've never heard. What does it mean?" Olivia, seeming to be the voice of reason, decided to change the subject.

"It's German. Means "Hunter". It's a machine that I'm psychically bonded to through the Drift."

"Hunter? And what pray tell do you hunt?" Jennifer sounded interested.

"Kaiju?" Dante answered like it was the most obvious answer in the world. But it was clear from the three women's confused expressions that they had no idea what he was talking about. "Giant, city destroying monsters. In my world, they're a big problem. They appeared without warning and in response, the Jaeger Program was born. To fight monsters, we created monsters of our own."

"Your Jaeger, Gipsy Danger was it? She's quite an impressive machine. I've never seen anything like it."

"She really is." Dante smiled again, happy to take a moment to brag about the titan robot he pilots. "Solid iron hull, no alloys, 50 engine blocks per muscle strand, hypertorque drive for every limb, and a dual core nuclear reactor. She's 1980 tons of awesome."

—————————————————————————

Meanwhile, in the city of Vale:

The waves crashed against the shore as the storm raged. Traffic was in full swing, and suddenly, the ground starts shaking. The people on the road by the beach look out at the water, and see what looks like....

"Is that.... Is that an Island?"

But islands don't move.... And islands aren't bone white.

"Grimm.... GRIMM!"

And what emerges from the water, is easily the largest Grimm the world of Remnant has ever seen.

*RRRROOOOOOAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHH!!!*

Chapter End.